Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: two wheel tractors  (Read 3297 times)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
two wheel tractors
« on: May 26, 2015, 01:29:22 pm »
We have been thinking about one of these. We have three acres and apt half to one third is underused at present but it is covered in dandelions and other weedsand we need to keep it down so we would be looking for harrow and topperattachments. Does anyone have any experience of these please?

moomaa

• Joined Feb 2015
    • VARI Machines
Re: two wheel tractors
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 10:34:44 pm »
Yes I have some experience
We sell these machines as well as use one on our own smallholding
The VARI machines use a single engine to carry out a multitude of tasks
See www.vari-machines.co.uk and www.vari.cz/en to find out more :D

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 10:49:15 pm »
We have an old red mayfield allen hydrostatic with front cutter bar doesthe job for cutting and doesnt have to cost the earth some of the allens have plough and Harrow attatchments

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 11:38:19 pm »
I have used the old allen style and the modern versions I'm not a fan there ok but I wouldn't want one as my only tool.
The allen was perfect with a finger mower, but through me 8 feet with the rotavater on.
Maybe I'm getting old, I'd buy a tiny Kubota or an outfront mower with topper ours just about pulls a chain

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 12:39:04 am »
We have a BCS scythe, just bought a newer rotavator (S/H) thinking we could just swap the blade, wrong model! so we either get an adaptor or buy a scythe for the newer machine.
I like them, the old scythe has worked well over the years, OH likes rotavator, pity ground was still wet when he worked it, made a real mess. but did the job, lots of attachments, plenty of power for the work.

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 12:16:38 pm »
Related question...  I've been looking at second hand two-wheel tractors on Ebay.  There hasn't yet been one with all the attachments I want, so I'd need to piece my kit together from different sources. 

Are all the PTO shaft fittings the same?  Are the attachments interchangeable between machines and/or models?  Or are there general rules about what would fit with what?

Lynn

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS