Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs biting  (Read 6673 times)

Kerriech

• Joined Sep 2014
Pigs biting
« on: May 25, 2015, 09:24:35 pm »
Hi folks,

Hope you can offer some advice. We got our first weaners about 3 weeks ago. Oxford sandy and blacks, 3 boars. They have settled in really well, and are very friendly. Possibly a little too friendly. They've started nibbling at my legs. How do I stop them biting without scaring them, or making them less friendly?

If they were horses or dogs I'd know what to do, but first time pig keeper need advice!!

They are the most fascinating animals I've ever owned. I could sit all day watching them. We got them for the freezer and I'm already dreading that day..........
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:27:27 pm by Kerriech »

HappyHippy

Re: Pigs biting
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:01:38 pm »
Treat them in exactly the same way you would a dog - a firm tap on the snout and a "no" usually does the trick. It'll only take them a few times to get the hang of it. It's cute when they are little, not so much once they're bigger. Also, don't be tempted to feed them by hand, this will make them more inclined to go to your hand for food. By the time they are 6 months old they'd have no trouble at all biting a finger off  :o I always put fruit and veg treats in a trug and give them that way  ;)
HTH
Karen

Kerriech

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 05:39:31 am »
Thanks Karen. Operation " stop biting" starts today  :)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 12:35:19 pm »
yep, as HH says - they'll stay friendly, just well behaved !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 09:19:31 pm »
I now nothing about pigs but they look gorgeous
Is it time to retire yet?

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 10:18:47 pm »
Being a dog person my default was to tell them off like dogs seemed to work for me. They would only occasionally try to tug on our trousers but mainly it was leaning into us because they wanted a head scratch and a good rub
________
Caroline

Kerriech

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 01:21:42 pm »
I'm happy to report that 2 days later they don't seem to be biting any more.
Flipping heck, they learn quicker than my  dogs.  ;)

Cheers folks.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 01:31:36 pm »
On the destined for the freezer front it may help if you call them by name ..... "Chops", "Sausage", "Porky"?

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 09:21:25 pm »
I just called them pig pig 1 and pig pig 2 and kept thinking of them as chops and joints :thumbsup:
________
Caroline

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 08:30:17 am »
I just called them pig pig 1 and pig pig 2 and kept thinking of them as chops and joints :thumbsup:

Destined for the freezer or not I think they have to be called something so that you can distinguish between them, as in pig pig 1 isn't eating, or pig pig 2 is putting on weight. So if you have to call them something what's the difference between pig pig 1 and pork chops or Daisy and Madge as in my case.
The "sending off" is never nice but you know it has to happen. Just make the most of them while they are with you.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 07:26:12 pm »
I always name my pigs. My last two were always trying to bite me when little and I told them off just like I would a puppy. Seem to work. I brush mine and play with then now and again to keep them from getting bored. do hate when they go but love the pork.

Kerriech

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 08:59:59 pm »
I haven't named them, but can recognise each one. They all have slightly different markings. Did the same with the lambs last year. No names, but if you had taken any of them out the flock I'd have known which one it was.
It wasn't easy last year taking the lambs away, but the pigs are going to be much harder. I completely understand now why I was advised to get uncastrated boars  ;) Had they been girls, I have no doubt that I would own 3 pet pigs by now. Lol.
I think I might be a little too soft for this small holding malarkey!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS