Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When can sheep go back on newly seeded grass?  (Read 2746 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
When can sheep go back on newly seeded grass?
« on: May 25, 2015, 07:48:52 am »
We've seeded an area that used to be a ménage in one of our sheep paddocks. When can the sheep go back on? I've heard that if they nibble it it encourages more foliage growth but I don't want them to kill it. There's plenty of other grass available in that field, and the ground is form so they won't poach it.

Can't find much info online and was wondering if anybody had some advice? Thanks
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: When can sheep go back on newly seeded grass?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 07:58:05 am »
I would give it a good couple of months then graze it lightly.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 09:20:01 am »
How long ago was it seeded? And what stage of growth is it?

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 10:04:41 am »
If we've reseeded a patch we put the sheep on it immediately for a while as long as there's enough other grass. Them walking on it is perfect for treading the seed in and ensuring good soil to seed contact. Especially as we don't have a roller. Once shoots start appearing we get them out and prob leave a couple of months or so or till new grass is better established

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 12:48:16 pm »
When the grass is about 3-4" sheep go in and graze it down to about 1" then sheep off allow to grow  to 3-4" graze again and so on .  This forces the grass to tiller ( spread the roots out ) so it fills in the gaps and gets a firmer hold it also allows sunlight to get at any clover ( if you allow the grass to get to tall it can crowd out any clover )    and you really don't want it to get seed heads .    Don't forget that the new grass should be worm free so great for lambs .

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 02:05:05 pm »
Asap

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 10:50:03 pm »
Thanks all, think I'll let them on for a short while at a time and see how it goes!
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS