Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ATV/UTV advice please  (Read 2066 times)

lowlander

• Joined Sep 2014
ATV/UTV advice please
« on: May 24, 2015, 09:16:38 pm »
We have decided to take the plunge and get a vehicle to shift things around our 8 acres plus mowing etc. We have quite slopey, rough land in places - and would like something that can access that so I have ruled out tractors/compact tractors as I don't think they would be safe on the slopes. Looked at alpine tractors but so few around second hand - so am now looking at UTVs (prefer something I sit in rather than a quad bike). The Yamaha Rhino seems to be pretty versatile and similar in capability to a quad but with a seat/rollbars etc. Has anyone used one of these on a smallholding (everything I can find seems to be in a sports context)? Would also welcome any other recommendations for similar machines and any recommendations for quad flail mowers! Thanks.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: ATV/UTV advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 11:36:00 pm »
We are looking at these as well, thought about a tractor but thats on the back burner, OH has decided on a John Deere with full cab + road legal, but I remember reading a post on here that they were expensive to buy and maintain, suitable S/H newish ones seem few and far away. I'm regretting saying I'd put some towards it.
take care buying, sounds like they are thief magnets, went to see a friend who had one, it had been stolen in the few minutes he was out of sight in a building.
But I DO want one :-)

lowlander

• Joined Sep 2014
Re: ATV/UTV advice please
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:56:34 am »
Just agreed to buy a 2 year old Kubota RTV900 - on further research decided it would be a better workhorse than the Rhino and I need it for moving things and mowing paths on rough,sloppy ground not getting from a to b as fast
as possible! The hydraulic tip sealed it for me - tried some manual ones but with any weight in them I couldn't lift them. So it should arrive next
week and will have a couple of days trial to make sure it can do the things we need it to. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS