Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Skye  (Read 1915 times)

Skye Byrd

• Joined May 2015
  • Skye, Scotland
Hello from Skye
« on: May 24, 2015, 04:45:49 pm »
Just registered with this forum so thought I should say HELLO  :wave:

Recently moved to a 50 acre smallholding on Skye from central Scotland. Have registered with SCF and im currently looking at what I can do on our land. Have previous experience of keeping chickens and growing lots of fruit and veg in my old back garden and I've done veterinary nursing (approx 20 years ago) but this is a whole new ball game to us. Thankfully a few of the local crofters have been very encouraging and are willing to help us along our way.

Currently have 1 dog, 2 kittens and 18 chickens. Would love to keep a couple of cattle (Highland or Dexters), small flock of sheep (love Valais but will start with black faces), a couple of pigs and maybe a goat or two.

Also interested in setting up some poly tunnels and fruit trees.

Looking forward to learning from you all and sharing our experiences too.

1 Dog (Border Terrier)
2 Cats
1 Turkey (Norfolk Black)
50 Chickens (Assorted pure and hybrids)
35 Sheep (Scottish Blackface)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Hello from Skye
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 02:49:09 pm »
 :wave: And welcome from Shropshire. Goats, vegetables and fruit for me.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 04:08:30 pm »
Hello and welcome  :wave:

If you are considering cattle, please consider the Shetland. Very rare now but certainly not because it's not a wonderful breed. There are a few keepers of Shetlands on TAS and a Shetland Cattle FB group, as well as a Shetland Cattle board in the cattle section here. We'll all be happy to help and share our experiences.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 04:17:14 pm »
Hello from Devon :wave: You'll like being here!

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 04:45:43 pm »
Hi from the north end of Skye.......

captaincobbler

• Joined May 2015
  • Nottinghamshire
  • Captain Cobbler - creating a small woodland
    • Captain Cobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 09:41:05 pm »
Hello all,

Just joined today and it looks as though I may well find interesting information here, as I hoped! As well as introducing myself (as having bought, a few years ago, a couple of fields not far from my house, to grow some new woodland on) I just thought you may be amused by a art of my joining procedure. As you probably all know there is a question asked - in order to make sure you are a real person rather than a robot wanting to create spam.
Well, the question I was asked was - what colour is a banana. I did not want to be boring and say just "yellow" so I said "green or yellow depending on whether it is ripe or not". BUT - this question is clearly not being moderated by a human because I was told by the computer, checking as to whether I was human or a robot, that my "answer was wrong" - Computers hey?!
Have a good day everyone - nice to meet you all
Keith

crofterswife

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 12:38:13 am »
Hello from the mainland just opposite Skye.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS