Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Valais Blacknose Lambing  (Read 21322 times)

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
Re: Valais Blacknose Lambing
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2015, 10:05:41 am »
Hi  :wave:

Just wanted to add my experience - I came on the site a year ago and must admit sometimes I saw peoples responses to questions as a bit scary and 'forthright'

BUT a year on, after being a avid reader, I have got to understanding the people who post and know what they will say/mean and most of all I see that everyones responses come from a good place - its just a different point of view sometimes but always to educate, inform and most of all - to help. 

I think what I am saying is, sometimes it may come across as 'unhelpful' but once you get to read enough posts, the people on here are really nice - they just  have strong views  :)

and Womble, I know I can rely on you to make me laugh!!!

pgwodehouse

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2015, 10:16:16 am »
Good morning,

I find it very sad how people assume that you're winding them up and just posting for the fun of it and I agree with fieldfare, that this thread has turned very sarcastic.

This was my first post BECAUSE I have never been into smallholding and this could be my first experience, after all everyone has to start somewhere, so I find it interesting that all of you assumes I was winding you up…all of you had their first post once.

Also, I am not sitting in front of my computer all day, as I am a student and in the middle of exams so excuse me if I don't check my messages every 10 minutes.

At the moment I live in the UK and I'd like to stay here but after I saw how expensive these sheep are, I thought it might be cheaper to import them from Germany or the Netherlands as they are much cheaper there. But I see the point of them bringing disease into the country, especially if you see how difficult it is to bring dogs or cats over, it must be even harder (regulations and so on) to do that with farm animals.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2015, 10:51:15 am »
The young stock we have in Scotland will fetch £1000 each .And will live out side no problem

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2015, 11:22:24 am »
PG, If you're not trying to get in this breed to make a quick buck, I think you'd be well advised to take a long term view. Unless you can find an experienced agent who would take care of the legals and technicalities for you, importing sheep is not a trivial matter, and is best left to the professionals. Unfortunately that leaves you with just the stock already present in the UK, and as has been mentioned once or twice already  :innocent: , they can be a tad expensive.

So, why not find another shaggy breed (Ryelands, Teeswaters even?) that are almost as cute, and get started with them?  You could probably buy a whole flock for the price of a single Blacknose, so could gain experience with much less outlay and commitment. That way, once you are ready to get started properly, you'll be in a much better position to make a successful go of it.

Just my thoughts. Your mileage may vary
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2015, 11:26:23 am »
Welcome PG :)  :wave: :thumbsup:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2015, 12:03:57 pm »
Hi and welcome.  :wave:

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2015, 12:21:26 pm »
Love the pic, great the way they follow you, wouldnt catch my Boreray following behind   :roflanim:
Beautiful sheep !  :love:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2015, 12:37:16 pm »
Oh, yes, do please look at Teeswaters (or any other endangered indigenous breed) - Teeswaters are super-cute, nice fleeces sell well, and the breed needs all the help it can get.  I'd have Teeswaters here, but it's too wet for their lovely long locks on our north Cumbrian wet uplands.  (Last year I bought a couple of black Wensleydales to see how they coped - and they really don't cope well with our wet winters.)

Having said which, we do always advise new starters to get whatever sheep are around in your area first, preferably from a local farmer / breeder, so you learn on a breed / type that is known in (and therefore should be suitable for) your area, and have some support from your local sheepkeepers while you learn about keeping sheep.

If you have the land for 5 sheep, you could approach a local farmer to buy 5 weaned lambs from him/her, and get a bit of experience under your belt growing them on to 'finished' size.  Then either sell them through your local mart, or get them butchered yourself for yourself, family and friends.

Or even ask a local sheepkeeper if s/he'd like to use your land for grazing, and involve you in the care of the sheep s/he puts on your land, so that you get some experience of handling and managing sheep.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2015, 12:47:37 pm »
We tried Wensleydales as well here. They made BFL look hardy!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2015, 11:33:45 am »
Normal sheep ain't easy (we have lleyn types), I suspect that such a big sheep like the black nose are very labour intensive, we have a wet climate, would they're feet put up with it and being such a weight carrier too, that wouldn't help.  If you look round the forum you ll see about advise on what is best for your area.  I do find them incredibly cute though,but I doubt I found them that cute in practice.  You'd have to have a Turning crate,  as there's no way one of those is gonna tip over easy peasy, I can imagine spraying them would be double the dose of a normal sheep, n worming them, I like my back as it is thank you very much.  I wish you good luck,it's well worth looking at British breeds though, and a fraction of the price x

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2015, 11:38:23 am »
Vf they are amazing, what a fab photo, I can see they do well , but how would they cope with lowland living? A genuine question :) x

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2015, 06:28:37 pm »
Some time ago someone put some pics of their lambs on, was it WF Dartmoor? I remember thinking I'd love some, or some GFD whch had been on Edwardian Farm (I think). Whatever, they were super cute but probably not give the financial returns OP hopes for  :)

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2015, 06:52:54 pm »
Hellybe they aren't in the coldist part .They live with the Rainders. They came from a glacier in switsland
They also live in Cornwall The ram

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:03:13 pm by Victorian Farmer »

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2017, 09:37:56 pm »
Rather than start a new post, can [member=15578]Victorian Farmer[/member] or any one else who has experience by now comment on do they live outside 365 days a year in all the weather the UK can throw at them?  I'm looking at South West Wales complete with liquid sunshine. Ta.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2017, 07:45:13 am »
Some time ago someone put some pics of their lambs on, was it WF Dartmoor? I remember thinking I'd love some, or some GFD whch had been on Edwardian Farm (I think). Whatever, they were super cute but probably not give the financial returns OP hopes for  :)

I'm confused again .... Thought you wanted 5 pet sheep .... Now you are talking about financial returns?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS