Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very poorly ewe with gut ache  (Read 9192 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Very poorly ewe with gut ache
« on: May 24, 2015, 07:54:43 am »
i have a mule who is very thin (condition score 1) and for the second time I found her in a corner yesterday with her head hanging. Brought her home gave her metacam, vitamin drench, pen strep and some pro rumen cos her rumen wasn't functioning.

She is arching her back and straining as when in labour. Her lambs are about 10 weeks and I have been trying to wean the ewes off nuts as so much grass. This ewe just won't put weight on.

She was very thirsty but won't eat. Nibbled a mouthful of nuts this am. I did FEC several weeks ago after lambing and advised no need to worm. She is clean behind but don't reckon she has poo'd for a while.

I don't know what to do now. Any suggestions?

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Very poorly ewe with gut ache
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 08:54:44 am »
Don't know what to advise but hoping someone comes along soon

:fc:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 09:35:56 am »
Star gazing a sign of ccn, thiamine deficiency. Speak to vet.  Thiamine jabs, until vet is seen pick her some ivy /browse and offer her some treats, digestives etc.   A clean bum doesn't mean no worms in some cases. what s her teeth like x

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 10:53:05 am »
I will check her teeth again, she is grinding them but did look brighter an hour ago. I might try worming just worried that might finish her off if weak. Don't think its CCN as she was exactly the same a about 6 weeks ago. Might be calcium deficiency as only thing I haven't given her yet that she had before and she was much better next day.

Tried ivy yesterday and not interested. Wish they could talk!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 03:14:24 pm »
What does vet say ?

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 06:00:10 pm »
any news on this poor ewe?
Is it time to retire yet?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 06:00:49 pm »
I agree that at this stage you really must consult a vet.  It becomes a welfare issue when an animal is in pain and so obviously very ill.

Meanwhile get some glucose down her to keep her going - use a syringe without the needle to give it like a drench.

I do so hope she pulls through  :fc: :hugsheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 10:40:36 pm »
Vet came out, scratched her head, gave buscopan and pen strep, left me some liquid paraffin and said give her a little with warm water and also ketosaid as can't get her to eat. Problem is, how much is a little??

I'm still really worried. Massaged her belly, gave her some live yogurt and just going to go give a little more of the paraffin . She has poo'd a tiny bit and did eat a handful of mix and slice of apple but nothing since. Still grinding her teeth. I don't know what else to do. She seems really colicky and has a gassy gut. She keeps stretching and straining.

She's one of my favourites, I hate seeing her like this. She seems to want to eat but her belly must be hurting too much.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 10:53:21 pm »
You could try some infant gripe water from the chemist. Hope she soon gets well, bless her.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 11:23:34 pm »
Oh dear, it sounds as if the vet wasn't very helpful.
When I was a child, I had a tablespoonful of liquid paraffin spooned down me at the least provocation.  It was also prescribed by our vet for one of our dogs when she was blocked up, 1 tbsp. again, so it sounds as if it's quite a flexible dose per kg. (the dog 'performed' the next day and was fine  ;D)
The tooth grinding is of course a sign of pain, poor thing.
This doesn't sound much fun, but have you tried gently feeling round inside her anus, with a gloved and very well lubricated finger?  You may be able to hook some faeces out, which could be enough to unblock the escape route.  The least it would do would be to lubricate things for when she does go.  But be very gentle, and stop if it increases her pain.
If she has no bowel sounds, then there's no point putting solid food in the top end because it will just back up.  You need to get lots of fluids in, which is why I suggested the glucose, or honey, or sugar water, or something similar, which can be absorbed from above the bowel.

We're all worried, as you are, so do keep us up to date with events  :hug:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:25:50 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 07:47:24 am »
Good luck with her  :hug:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 10:01:10 am »
She is trying to drink but not much. I've just given some more metacam and she had about 30ml diluted ketosaid at 7. There is gas escaping sometimes when she lies down. Not sure if this is good. Will go mix up the honey solution she's not very impressed at all the syringing.

She is no worse but no better. Perked up for an hour or so yesterday but then went off again. I did see some fresh pellets yesterday after vet had hooked out some.

Would it be worth worming her or will that be too much for her?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 10:36:20 am »
This may not be of any help but recently had a ewe with bloat who was not looking healthy at all and guts were in all but stasis ( vet visited very little noise from rumen etc)

As a comparison my very old gordon setter was having severe digestive issues with bloat ( old male  setters are prime candidates for bloat and gastric torsion) I found that I could relieve his symptons and help relieve his bloat by gentle massage of his abdomen.

So I tried the same with the ewe. I'm not saying it made the difference but in view of the vets face when he left I felt I had nothing to lose..... shes back in the field  :-)
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 10:54:57 am »
Do you have a health food shop nearby? If so get some Slippery Elm powder and include that in your drench. It is very soothing for the GI tract and can help with constipation.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 11:48:51 am »
I have been massaging and when she lies down I press on her rumen which seems to encourage the gas out. No pellets when I stuck my finger in but loose poo on gloves but couldn't reach any further.

She is trying to drink lots and seems settled. I will have a look for health shop. Thanks all for advice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS