Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting With Bees? Please Help!  (Read 2277 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Starting With Bees? Please Help!
« on: May 23, 2015, 08:36:19 pm »
Hi, my name is Daisy and I'm 13 years old. I am really interested in keeping bees and would really appreciate some advice and help. I have started to read about them to find out how to look after them, but would by very grateful if anyone could give me some tips on starting out.

I would also be grateful to know how much the initial cost is likely to be, and where I could get a colony of bees that would be docile, as I have heard that some can be more aggressive than others.

Also, which type of beehive is easiest to begin with?

I have so much to learn, but am very excited! Please help.

Daisy

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
Re: Starting With Bees? Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 10:17:14 pm »
Hi Daisy,

I was the same age as you when I first started keeping bees .... back in 1973!

From my experience I would only recommend the Modified National Hive. Their are a lot of good books and I'm sure a lot to view on youtube too.

I would recommend you join your local Beekeeping Association, purchase a veil / outfit and attend local apiary meetings to understand first hand what is involved. beekeeing does require lifting and moving heavy honey supers. A National Shallow super full of honey weights around 30lbs and if you used a deep super (brood chamber as I think of them) it will weigh 50lbs. 

You havent said where you live but if you attend your local beekeepers meetings the chances are that you'll come into contact with someone who will help set you up. 

Beekeeping can be an expensive hobby from the outset but if you can buy second hand equipment you can make substantial savings.

As a starter you'll need:
Clothing: Veil and gloves
Hive: Floor, brood chamber, queen excluder, 2 x shallow supers, quilt and a roof (combs in living areas too of course)
Manipulations equipment: Smoker, Hive tool (and I'd say manipulation cloths)
Extraction equipment: Access to honey extactor, filter / settling tank and uncapping knife

The list very quickly grows and one hive is very seldom enough, for swarm control alone you relly need a second and a neucleus hive (3 or 5 frame hive typically) is very useful.

Hope this helps as a starter.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:31:46 pm »
Because of your young age please don't be offended by what I'm going to say .....

Safe partnering with a bee keeper who has had four or five hives for the same number of years should enable you to learn the basics in reasonable safety .

Do get agreement with your parents etc , get them to meet and become friends with the keeper ( males or females )  so that you are safe with the keeper & their associates  .

Read any book by Ted Hooper , he is a Canadian who is a very modern commercial Bee Farmer and as he earns his living from bees you'll begin to understand that what he says is worth its weight in gold .
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 12:49:29 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 10:34:21 pm »
Completely agree with Pete your local beekeepers association is a must and it can be expensive to start up I think I spent about 500 pounds in my first year. Swarms are an easy cheap way to get bees but temperament can vary.

It is a great hobby and good to do lots of reading first. Also really important to think about where the hive will be, not all neighbours appreciate bees.

Good luck
________
Caroline

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS