Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody hen gone off eggs after 10 days- Updated! :)  (Read 4088 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Broody hen gone off eggs after 10 days- Updated! :)
« on: May 23, 2015, 06:08:32 pm »
See below for update!  :thumbsup:

I'm so gutted. I had 2 LF light sussex hens both go broody at the same time. I gave the first hen some eggs to sit on and during that time the other hen just sat on eggs in the nest boxes that had been laid that day until they were taken out in the evening. First hen hatched out 2 chicks. The 2nd hen stayed broody so I gave her some duck eggs 11 days ago. She's been sitting tight on them, kicked a few out but the rest I candled 2 days ago and all 11 were fertile and moving.

She was sat on them at 11am this morning but I've just gone to collect in today's eggs at 5.50pm and she's obviously got off for a drink this afternoon and gone back and sat on a couple of chicken eggs that were laid today in the other nest box  :'( I immediately put her back on her duck eggs and she fluffed herself up and sat on them, but they weren't exactly warm. I guess they will all have died now? Should I candle them in a few days or leave them under her and see what happens? I've got a plentiful supply of duck eggs so will start again with the incubator if these ones haven't made it... more annoyed that she might have blown it  >:(
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 06:02:40 pm by twizzel »

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Broody hen gone off eggs after 10 days
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 06:37:48 pm »
Last year hubbie took a broody off her eggs and locked her in the run to eat, drink and empty herself ..... she was a determined sitter and a bit too 'tight', never getting up to feed. Meant to lock her out for 10 mins. I went down early evening to find that OH had forgotten to let her back in.  ::) Eggs stone cold. Daughter was upset and so we decided to let her sit and see what happened.

All hatched!  ;D

I think they are not as 'vulnerable' as you would expect.

Think they should be okay.  :fc:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 07:20:35 pm »
Yep, I think they can cope with a few hours of being ignored. I've had chickens kick eggs out for no apparent reason and found them stone cold but put in an incubator, they've hatched fine later. Could you put her somewhere that she only has her eggs to go to?

H

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 07:29:13 pm »
Thanks, this is the general consensus from friends too. No I don't want to move her as last year I moved her with a couple of eggs she had gone broody with before setting her on the proper eggs and she ate the lot after a week or so despite being fertile. Think she prefers still being with the other hens. So will pick in eggs earlier in the day I think ??

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 10:54:32 am »
As I understand it she'd been broody for 32 days in all?  That's a long time and even if she's been eating and drinking every day her reserves will be very low by now. 

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 10:54:59 pm »
I've had one sit for nearly two months after the first batch of duck eggs failed and I got her onto chicken eggs instead. She was fine & is my top broody still (did two batches last year including goslings). As long as you make sure they get a good feed and drink every day, they're OK - they don't burn a lot of energy!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 08:06:26 am »
She's been broody for a while but I can't get her to stop. Once she goes broody unless given some eggs she will carry on for the whole summer... Last year her eggs failed and within 4 weeks she was broody again. I feed her every day where the eggs are so I know she's getting fed and there's always water available. She's still sitting after I put her back on the eggs,  so halfway through now ????

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 11:29:51 am »
In the past I've sometimes put broody light breeds on a clutch of eggs but I prefer to use a heavy soft-feathered fowl as I've found they come through it in much better condition.  We have quite a small window of opportunity to raise chicks to a decent size up here on the windy hilltop and they and the adult birds have to be in good condition to survive the following Winter.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 07:15:33 pm »
She's a big girl, she seems happy and comb is still nice and pink, she gets off every day and is eating, so I'm happy for her to continue for the minute. If she makes it through to hatching then she can move up to the garden and have a bit of luxury treatment!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 06:02:09 pm »
Update- she hatched out 5 ducklings, not the easiest of mums but she's doing well now they have all hatched! A little clumsy with her big feet but keeping a close eye on her, they are all doing well  :relief:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Broody hen gone off eggs after 10 days- Updated! :)
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 06:31:16 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS