Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: any pig keeping courses in essex  (Read 4038 times)

spoon

• Joined Feb 2010
any pig keeping courses in essex
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:40:40 pm »
does anyone know of any pig keeping courses in essex

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: any pig keeping courses in essex
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 04:54:51 pm »
You could try speaking to Carol Knights her details are on the members list of the GOS website
Mandy

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:10:58 am »
Hi Spoon, I dont know of any courses, but you are welcome to visit here anytime, bring a pad and pencil and ask away! I'll advise as much as I can! :pig:
Also look in the gos forum, theres great info on new to pig keeping posted by Mandy at Fowgill Farm, I'm surprised you didnt say! ;)

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:44:25 am »
Have you tried calling your local Agricultural College ? Some Colleges host one day sheep, pig, lambing and poultry courses.  :pig:
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

spoon

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 01:01:35 pm »
alright thanks prob wait and see the little unsd aswell how is she getting on

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 01:04:29 pm »
She's fine, no piglets yet, will keep you posted! :pig:

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 09:15:30 am »
Jimmy's farm aka The Essex Pig Co outside Ipswich used to run pig courses. Check and see if any are imminent.

Stanley

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:24:57 pm »
No local colleges in Essex run pig courses im afraid.  I tried a few months back and Writtle College tell me this is something they have been looking into.

I can offer the same as Dixie, more than welcome to visit and I can tell you as much as I know.  Bit green on the breeding side as only just had my first litter.

Stanley

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 07:04:37 pm »
We do pig keeping courses in Sussex, and are very easy to get to from essex

STARTING WITH PIGS - ONE DAY COURSE
Courses are run on Sundays monthly from March to September.     
Available Dates for 2010 - 18th April, 16th May, 27th June, 25th July, 15th Aug, 19th Sept

This course is for you if you are considering keeping pigs or are new to pigs. The course will show you how to set up or expand, what is needed and the costs involved. Whether you are thinking of having a couple of weaners to fatten for your freezer or starting to keep pigs for breeding, we will explain both the upsides and things to avoid and help you understand and enjoy your pigs. If you are not sure whether pig keeping is possible for you, this course will help you decide.

This will be an informative and fun day with plenty of hands on experience with the pigs. Numbers on each course are limited to a maximum of 8, so you will have plenty of time to ask questions and see all that is involved.

The course covers :-
How much space do I need, what about housing, what sort of fencing? What equipment do I need?
What can I feed, how much, what will it cost ?
Where do I buy stock from, what to buy, how much should I pay ?
What are the regulations I need to follow?
How easy is it to breed and what’s involved ?
How do I keep them fit and healthy ?
How do I find an abattoir and a butcher ?
What meat do I get, how much, what can I do with it?

The day will be a mixture of outdoor and indoor sessions. You will meet the main herd of friendly sows in their outdoor enclosures and spend time in the farrowing yard where there will be piglets of various ages, and sows due to give birth. Indoors we will get a chance to discuss what you have seen and cover this in more detail.
Course fee £120 (£220 for 2 places sharing a manual), includes refreshments, light lunch and 120 page manual to take away.

Visit our website or email us for a booking form

Oaklandspigs@btinternet.com

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS