Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am I nuts?  (Read 2964 times)

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Am I nuts?
« on: May 22, 2015, 09:46:21 pm »
I did my research on goats and decided I wanted AN. Found a credible breeder and reserved 2 female kids to enter my new goat keeping hobby. They will be ready in about 2 weeks.

However now I have been told about 2 tog kids that are also very tempting.

Would I be nuts if I took on 4 female kids as a first time goat keeper?
________
Caroline

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Am I nuts?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 12:06:14 am »
Probably, but join the rest of us  ;D .

You've done your research, I presume into husbandry as well as breeds, if you've the housing and space I don't see a problem, sounds fun, jumping in at the deep end.
I love my Toggs.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:20:59 am »
No your not, they are addictive  !  :goat: Like pennine said do your homework  :thumbsup: Enjoy

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 11:55:42 am »
I started with 4 and 2 of them were already in milk!

Haven't looked back and love every day with them. :excited:  Adore my ANs.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 12:43:36 am »
But you are nuts. Four at once and now two gorgeous kids.

Ok, I admit it - I'm jealous. Would love to be able to have lots of goats.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 10:03:04 am »
 :roflanim: :roflanim:
That's  goats for you!! :fc:
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 12:02:51 pm »
The only thing to consider is that you will be kidding 4 goatlings all at the same time - your herd will explode in numbers in 2 years... better to start with a mix of ages and take it slower. Just my take on it.

Also bringing up kids without nannies (not necessarily their mums) will make it much more difficult to bring them up as "goats" and not as "pets", they will learn respect and how to take their place in a herd much easier with older girls/milkers around.

Had my kids out yesterday in the field with some goatlings and the old matron (who fights with all the other younger milkers because she still thinks she is boss, but she isn't anymore) and she was so happy to sort out the youngstock! While I was there the kids just jumped around me and up onto me, and the goatlings joined in too. As I left they just all settled down to "organised" grazing. You can't beat a (goat)granny in doing some babysitting for you!

Ideal start IMO would be nanny with her female kid plus a goatling, again not necessarily nanny's daughter.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 10:34:08 pm »
Thanks for all your comments especially the point of having an older one to be in charge. I am still considering at the moment will def get 2 but so easy to get swept along with the cuteness of kids.

The priority has to be the goats welfare though and what is realistic for us to cope with  ??? Space is not an issue as we have just under 3 acres for then subject to fencing, but as much as I am excited trying not to get carried away  :innocent:
________
Caroline

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS