Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weeds  (Read 2332 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Weeds
« on: May 22, 2015, 12:14:24 pm »
There was a discussion recently about what plants were poisonous which was helpful, but I wonder if there are any common weeds that goats shouldn't eat?
We have soooo many weeds in our garden and an unused driveway, I'd like to let the goats browse all of them but I just want to check first that there's nothing that will hurt them.
There are sharp pointy weeds as well as nettles and countless others - are they all safe to be eaten?

Thanks very much :)
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Weeds
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:35:09 pm »
 Goats aren't stupid!
They are browsers by nature so have a very good survival instinct and will not, under normal conditions of plenty, eat anything poisonous. They might nibble at, for example, laurel, which isn't good for them in quantity. But they won't eat enough to cause any harm.
Nettles are good for them and if you cut them and allow them to dry, the goats will eat them with relish.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 08:59:15 pm »
I hate to say this but there is no way I would say that goats aren't stupid when it comes to plants they shouldn't eat. There is no way I would let a goat of mine nibble laurel, I have had a goat manage to nibble a tiny bit of rhododendron and although she lived she projectile vomited 4ft  and had a terrible stomach ache. Check the BGS web site, I thought they did a pamphlet on wild plants for goats. I would agree they love nettles some prefer cut and dried others will eat them standing. Good luck but be careful !!! :huff:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 12:15:34 am »
I'd agree, beware many evergreens for starters, check out 'goat poisonous plants' through google (othr search engines available).
I had a goat who ate some Rhododendron a neighbour had thrown out, after stayin with her through a terrible long night where she vomited violently all over the walls, she looked like a walking skeleton, a hefty vets bill but she did survive. From posts on here Laurel sounds even more deadly.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 12:45:40 am »
I had a goat who had a tiny nibble of laurel and was so ill - vomiting and in agony.The vet said there was a good chance I would lose her and the next 24 hours were crucial. She did survive but the laurel didn't. I dug it up that day.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 10:25:34 am »
 Ok. I stand corrected!
I have had animals (several) nibble at laurel with no ill effects. Obviously it varies between animals.
However, I still maintain that your garden weeds will do them no harm, under normal conditions of plenty.  So I wouldn't put them in a bare field full of ragwort with a laurel hedge around it and the odd rhodedendron and yew tree!
I used to take one of my goats for a walk in various wild places around us, and I noted what she ate as we went along. It was noticeable that she nibbled at brambles and hawthorn and suchlike, but merely sniffed at and ignored ragwort, hogweed etc.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS