Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Injection/vaccination guns  (Read 4967 times)

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
Injection/vaccination guns
« on: May 22, 2015, 11:05:36 am »
I'm thinking of buying a vaccination gun to administer heptavac etc but am a bit dazzled by the range available and the wide variation in price. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Injection/vaccination guns
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 11:40:20 am »
How many animals are you needing to inject at any one time?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 12:04:58 pm »
We have this one and we think it's great http://www.fearing.co.uk/STV-bottle-mount-vaccinator

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 02:22:57 pm »
Foobar I've recently increased my sheep flock and have got 12 lambs and 10 adult sheep. Am not looking forward to injecting 12 lambs individually.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 02:43:01 pm »
Well you can either get a bottle mounted injector as Rosemary suggests, or get a repeat injector like this one:

http://wynnstayonline.co.uk/phillips-repeater-injector-gun-25ml.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkP-MCZO2FM

No tubes, not bottles, I like mine very much :).  25ml, so at 2ml doses you can do 12 injections in one fill.

I would also advise you can put a Sterimatic sleeve on the end too (of either sort of injector!) to disinfect the needle between each sheep:
https://www.youtube.com/user/sterimatic/videos

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 03:24:25 pm »
I've decided on a bottle-mounted Sterimatic system for now, will see how it goes. Thanks for the advice - very helpful!

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 09:05:34 pm »
This is a very timely thread for me as I'm in the same position as you DW (10 ewes and 11 lambs) and I was thinking I don't want to repeat last years hep-p shenanigans - still deciding which one to go for...

Trouble is, I think my biggest problem is getting the needle in right for subcutaneous injections - the chap in your vid makes it look so easy Foobar, but with my easycares I find it hard to 'tent the skin'.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 08:28:34 am »
I bought the bottle mounted Sterimatic gun when I discovered I didn't have the three hands to hold the sheep, the gun, and the separate tube - connected bottle of the other type. I did put the bottle in my shirt top pocket but it was still awkward and not as slick and flexible as the bottle mounted gun.
mab, you don't have to worry about tenting the skin because the spring loaded needle only projects skin deep when it is depressed. In fact you cannot get your fingers  close to the injection site because of the Sterimatic thingy that sterilizes the needle as it passes through it. It means you do have a spare hand to separate the fleece and ensure penetration. You'll love it.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 09:24:09 pm »
well that nails it SJ - I'm ordering one ASAP  8) . Thx.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 11:42:19 am »
ruddy brilliant!

It takes less time to do all eleven lambs than it took to do one before.

Why didn't I buy one before?

cheers

M

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 12:02:11 pm »
I also bought the Sterimatic after reading this and used it to Heptavac my lambs.  As predicted, I love it. :thumbsup:
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS