Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cats gone missing  (Read 9866 times)

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
Cats gone missing
« on: May 22, 2015, 09:54:06 am »
I know cats can be prone to wander off and then come back home, but how long do you leave them before you really start to worry?

I have 2 semi feral cats, I haven't seem them for nearly a week. They have stopped coming back for their food and haven't seen them around the yard, my younger boy very rarely leaves the barn and yard, so I'm very worried about them.

How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Cats gone missing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 11:36:38 am »
One of my cats can be away for days on end. He seems to live on rabbits in the summer months. Although I expect he is hiding near bye and sleeping off his meal he does not feel the need to let me know that he is safe. always worries me.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 12:56:23 pm »
I know cats can be prone to wander off and then come back home, but how long do you leave them before you really start to worry?

I have 2 semi feral cats, I haven't seem them for nearly a week. They have stopped coming back for their food and haven't seen them around the yard, my younger boy very rarely leaves the barn and yard, so I'm very worried about them.
I have a semi feral cat and he went missing all winter and turned up the next spring I was worried sick about him. The thing with cats is no one ever owns them they own themselves. I shouldn't worry they may have gone somewhere else, cats have a massive territory, they'll turn up.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 01:00:29 pm »
Thanks for the replies, trying not to worry about them too much. We are surrounded by woodland and forestry so hopefully they are fending for themselves now the better weather is here.

I have been chucking the food they didn't eat on the grass at the bottom of the yard so the dogs can have it when they come out, but it's always been gone by the times the dogs come out, don't know if it's the cats having it or the birds.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 03:31:18 pm »
I would just make sure they have not been accidentally locked in a shed or something.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 03:48:12 pm »
Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it.   :'( Cats are free spirits - that's part of the attraction. I still worry about mine, but he has been much better lately - possibly down to being older - and comes inside most nights.  Or it may be to do with feeding him pouches as I tried to keep him on dried previously. :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 11:16:18 pm »
We have a cat who went nowhere for first year of her life and then out of the blue disappeared. We were distraught and after 3 weeks assumed the worst. Then she was back, none the worse. She is around all the time and then every so often she goes walkabout. We always worry but she always comes back.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 08:18:56 am »
Cats are more worry than teenagers!! We had one go missing then returned months later. Turned out he had been taken in by someone who thought he was a stray.
Do you have neighbours who may be feeding them tastier meals than you? Hope they're soon home :fc:

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 11:15:36 am »
Thanks for the replies, I've checked all my outbuildings and my tack room and no sign of them.

We don't really have any close neighbours, so they would have gone quite a way to get to them.

Ive been standing in around the back calling them and 'meowing' to them to see if they call back, good job I don't have any close neighbours otherwise they would think I was mad! 

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 02:39:50 pm »
How old are they and are they neutered. Cats, especially boys, often go a-wandering in their second year of life once they are mature. Our neutered boys had a tendency to go for 3 days at a time, but they were house and sofa cats who very much liked the comfort of home. If they had been semi-feral I would have thought they would have gone for longer.

If you're worried you could give the council a call to see if they have picked up any bodies. Grim I know but it is always my first call when mine go a-wandering. Other thing would be to check with rescues in the area in case they had been picked up as strays.

Hopefully they will come back right as rain, miaow for food and look at you like you're an idiot for ever wondering. That tends to be what my lot do.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 03:08:59 pm »
They are neutered and spayed, and the boy is microchipped. I've only had them since just before xmas so this is the first 'nice weather' they've had really, so don't know if they were just staying close to shelter in the barns. They were 'city cats' so I'm sure they were used to more dangers than out here.

Think I might ask the local rescue and the local area group on FB if anyone has seen them at all.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 03:19:27 pm »
Country roads can be more dangerous to cats than city roads. I've had cats live on the virgin west coast main line and on a very busy main road in London without coming to harm. Moved to a small village with a 30mph road and a childrens park and lost 2 cats in 4 years to RTA and seen more dead cats by that children's park than I have in my entire cat owning life. A car speeding past every once in a while is more of a danger than a fairly consistent flow of traffic unfortunately.

The rescue should pick up a chip if the cat came to them but they have been known to migrate. Took the vet nurse two scanning machines, several questions to me of 'are you sure he is chipped?' and 10 minutes to find that one of my boys chips had migrated down to his elbow!

If this is the first good weather it is likely they have gone wandering exploring the new territory. A male cat can have a really large area. . Might be worth asking your closest neighbour if they had been trapped in. A male cat can have a range that covers several acres. Hope they are back soon.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 03:20:49 pm »
I have a lot of farm cats - male and female, some are tame, others feral.  I leave food twice a day though.  Two of the males have been gone abuot 6 weeks, they always seem to do that around now. I assume they go off hunting in the fields, and find enough to eat.  Then one morning they suddenly are there waiting for food.  One of the females spent the whole summer on the railways enbankment - I could see her because she was white and stood out.  Another one appeared at weekend, a female, after being missing for a month and rubbed round me - food may have been the reason.  So try not to worry.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 07:38:41 pm »
Any sign Baois?

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 08:37:35 am »
My female cat came back the other day, she was waiting in their barn for me when I went to check at their dinner time. She had something to eat then went back outside, but no sign of my male cat yet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS