Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cats gone missing  (Read 9884 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Cats gone missing
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 09:48:49 am »
Good news! I'll bet the male will show up in a little while :)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 10:15:41 am »
Our male (entire) used to vanish at the first sign of good weather (we panicked the first year) but always returned to the warmth of fire as soon as first sign of cold weather .... did that every year ... 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 10:26:30 am »
Thank you I hope he is ok, she was calling for him a lot so I hope she finds him.
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 10:55:37 am »
That's a good sign. Females tend to wander less than males so hopefully he'll be back before you know it as well!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 12:07:04 pm »
I do have a lot of luck with ginger toms, neutered of course. The first we had from a kitten, he got to his first summer and would wander off for days, then a week and come back covered in fleas, would sleep for a couple of days and go off again, you could see him getting itchy feet. The last time he went he was never to be seen again.
  The second, I found as an older kitten on the side of the road near to death in winter, I have never seen any animal so starved. He quickly grew into a beautiful moggy, neutered, chipped. Come summer he starts coming home later and later, it turns out next door thought he was a stray and he was living next door as one pampered cat. When we moved they asked if they could keep him, he is the king of their house and every time they see me they thank me.
  I have three tabby cats one of which I would gladly give away and one long haired who would live with anybody who fed her and ended up in a neighbours bedroom asleep on their bed after climbing through a window. We are only here to feed them and pay the vet bills.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 05:29:08 pm »
you know the saying: " you cant herd cats"!! So true, but that's probably why we like them.

Don't despair over missing cats.
In October we took in 2 tabby feral cats, bro and sister, neutered, 9 months old. They were to be our stable cats. As soon as we opened the tack room the boy vamoosed.
Sadly we lost his sister to a car in January. So we got 2 more feral cats ( how ashamed was I to tell the cat rescue that Id lost both their cats?). this time timid 5 yr old Mum and her 4yr old daughter, also neutered.
Well, the "feral" girls are still with us, albeit about as un-feral as you can imagine and couldn't catch a cold between them.

BUT: I was telling this story to my neighbour who told me that a big tabby boy had "turned up" at another neighbour's house last November, walked in and claimed the place as his new home! Yes, its my flaming feral Tom, we called Macavity.
Thankfully, Macavity graces us with his presence 3/4 times a week, in the late evening for a spot of hunting. Then he bogs off back to the lap of luxury in the £1m house down the road!! Cheek of it!
Is it time to retire yet?

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 09:31:52 am »
Well my female cat came back again this morning, still no sign of my male cat though. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 05:32:34 pm »
Glad to hear you've got one of your cats safely back.

Over the years I've had neutered males go walkabout on a number of occasions.  Being me, if they're gone for more than 48 hours I start going out calling and looking for them, and tell local people I'm missing one of my cats, even leafleting houses in the locale on one occasion.

On several occasions, I would not have found the cat had I not spread the word...  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 05:53:00 pm »
She was back again tonight for her dinner, hoping she stays around for a little while now.

I've been out in the woods behind my house looking for him and calling him every day, I've driven around the local area and asked the local rescue and others in the area to keep an eye out for them and posted on local fb pages.
As we are in rural Ireland houses are few and far between here.

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 06:22:40 pm »
Well I'm pleased to say my young male cat came back yesterday, he was in for both meals yesterday and in for both meals today, so hoping he is going to stay around now.  :excited:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 06:29:35 pm »
Thankfully, Macavity graces us with his presence 3/4 times a week, in the late evening for a spot of hunting. Then he bogs off back to the lap of luxury in the £1m house down the road!! Cheek of it!
Look on the bright side, he does the mousing for you, but no worming or vets bills to bother about got to be -  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 09:32:03 am »
Great news!  Thanks for letting us know  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 08:35:44 pm »
 :relief: glad he's home (until next time ::) )

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 08:40:01 pm »
 :relief: :relief:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS