Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Choosing wire for electric fence  (Read 2308 times)

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
Choosing wire for electric fence
« on: May 22, 2015, 08:48:55 am »
I need to set up some semi-permanent electric fencing to keep next door's sheep off.
I intend to put up a proper stock fence once the grant system is open again, hopefully later in the year. However my geese are arriving soon so I need a stop-gap.
Once the permanent fence is up, I will re-employ the electric fencing for various little corners of the garden, internal divisions, etc. i'm hoping not to use my lawnmower this year :)

Anyway, I was initially going to just use polywire, but have come across 7 strand galvanised electric fence wire which is only slightly more expensive. I've got memories of my parents' polywire having a short life as the thin strands break easily with any sort of movement.
Has anyone used this 7 strand stuff? Any thoughts either way?

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Choosing wire for electric fence
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:49:51 pm »
The 7 strand galvanised stuff is much stronger but can be a little more hassle than the poly wire as it can get kinks in it which are hard to get out. It is also quite a bit heavier.
Neither issues are a problem if you don't move it but if you are frequently moving it the polywire would be easier.

Steel wire should also have less resistance which might be a consideration if you are using a lot of wire.

I have a reel of each and use both for the cows. Advantages and disadvantages to both so I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Choosing wire for electric fence
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 11:39:50 pm »
if you get polywire make sure it says stainless steel, I bought some of the internet not knowing this, it soon rusted and nasty bits of rusty wire sticking in your fingers ain't good.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS