Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lambing finished  (Read 4574 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
lambing finished
« on: May 21, 2015, 09:22:03 pm »
Last ewe Lambed last night,  5 Shetlands were tupped, 10 lambs born, 6 boys 4girls....

Predominantly blacks and browns, with mainly gulmoget patterning.
Will wait and see how the colours change as they mature, but am very pleased currently!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: lambing finished
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:34:07 pm »
Good result Bloomer!  I take it they all just got on with it on their own?

BTW, if you're castrating the boys, double check them when you do. When we came to give their first heptavac we found that either one of ours has had an early sex change, or we missed him with the elastrator  :rant: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 09:41:36 pm »
No interventions required at all, I didn't see any of them born, although some were very new when I found them....

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 09:06:54 am »
 :thumbsup:    :relief:

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 09:17:49 am »
excellent . well done good result.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 01:12:54 pm »
lambing finished earlier this month for me, not a good lambing though only 40 lambs out of about 45-47 ewes and some of those didn't lamb.  :(
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

crofterswife

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 01:51:00 pm »
We have still 3 to lamb. Four lambs this morning so hoping the rest will come soon.
Our weather has been dire and can't blame the lambs for wanting to stay put!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 02:09:39 pm »
Finished here too 5 ewes 10 lambs, should have been 13 but lost 3  :relief:
Anne

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 09:17:15 pm »

10 lambs out of 5 ewes - good result  :thumbsup: finished here too I think; I must still be in the beginners luck phase as I had no problems :relief:  and out of 4 ewes and 6 ewe-lambs I got 11 lambs (2 boys 9 girls), one ewe and two ewe lambs didn't do anything and one ewe-lamb bagged up but has gone down again (that's why I think I've finished).

The only regret is that I didn't try hard enough to get one of Fattys triplets onto a bottle so they're growing slower than the other lambs and Fatty's now quite thinny.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 09:25:09 pm »
Good result David. The trick now is to keep them alive long enough to make some cash off them  ;D

We had 31 lambs out of 8 ewes and 7gimmers. Should have been 33, but hey ho. Three are doing a good job of raising triplets. All home tonight ready for the shearer tomorrow. Going to worm the lambs as well.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 07:38:23 am »
Good result David. The trick now is to keep them alive long enough to make some cash off them  ;D

We had 31 lambs out of 8 ewes and 7gimmers. Should have been 33, but hey ho. Three are doing a good job of raising triplets. All home tonight ready for the shearer tomorrow. Going to worm the lambs as well.

That is a fantastic result. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

jward

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Stockton-on-Tees
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 06:28:07 am »
Our first year time lambing finished yesterday morning.  Very pleased with 12 lambs from 6 Shetland hoggs and 3 ewes - 8 girls, 4 boys, and everyone lambed outside without assistance. :)

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS