Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: scouring  (Read 2951 times)

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
scouring
« on: May 20, 2015, 08:10:44 am »
I am having a crisis of confidence here, so advice / reassurance needed please. Our ewes have had a week of scouring and no sign of getting any better. They are on fresh new grass, but have been before and it normally only gives a couple of days and then their tummies settle down. They were wormed about a month ago with Combinex. Of the 6 ewes 1 has bad scours, 3 have a bit and 2 are fine. Its the 2 without lambs that are fine, but they all live together. Other sheep in the area seem to be in a similar way, so I suspect its the time of year (ie new grass coming through all the time for the first time this year) but that's where in the middle of the night you start to worry and question yourself! The ewes all seem otherwise healthy and eat well, both grass and ewe feed. Anyway hopefully someone out there will be able to advise.  Many thanks

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: scouring
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:41:44 am »
Get a mag bucket in with them x

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 07:44:42 am »
We put a mag lick in there a while ago. the first day they all used it, we knew because they had brown lips! Since then its been totally ignored. So how to get them to actually lick it?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 07:46:04 am »
Sprinkle a bit of creep feed on top

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 11:40:57 am »
You could put out some hay for them.  If they'll take that it will help to counteract the fresh grass.  Sheep are quite clever (with far more sense than most people think) so often if given the opportunity will regulate their own diet.  I don't suppose they like scouring  :D

Has your grass been fertilised with artificial fertiliser?  That can make it extra lush, which will tend to make scours worse.

It's also worth doing a FEC, just in case they carry worms which are wormer resistant, so have survived and multiplied since their worming.

If they start to lose condition, or look unwell, then consult you vet for advice.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 05:24:30 pm »
I have always found that those working the hardest ie those milking with lambs at foot show worm problems the quickest ! As suggested get FEC done, take a fresh sample from each ewe if you only have a few, especially the scouring ones, in separate bags and get the vet to do a single mixed test, bit cheaper that way. Make sure you know the weight of your sheep and dose to the heaviest to avoid resistance. Hope they come right soon :wave:

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 05:42:40 pm »
FEC to see if the wormer has worked.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 06:23:02 pm »
Im a complete amateur but Ive just spent half a day with the lady Im getting my Ryeland stores off and she uses Pepto-Bysmol for scour ( once she has wormed and the scouring hasn't stopped)
Does that sound bonkers? It works for her! and she regularly shows her Ryelands so she's quite serious about it all
Is it time to retire yet?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 06:44:04 pm »
Mmm pepto bismol can stop the gut working and it will line it and stop any other nutrients to get through, I checked up on it and this is what I came up with.   ACV far better, watered down of course.  It normalises the pH value in the gut.  A weak alkaline or weak acidic gut can cause bacteria to have a right party.  Apparently it also allows tiny fibres in the mother of the ACV ( the must) to stick to the gut wall thus getting faeces to start to have some form.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS