Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grants and subsidies  (Read 7578 times)

gardenrosie

• Joined May 2015
Grants and subsidies
« on: May 19, 2015, 06:31:17 pm »
Hello all! 

We are in the process of buying a house with 8 acres of sloping land.  I am a professional gardener with an allotment but have never had that much land and am a bit scared... the garden of the house itself is about 1/2 acre so plenty of room to grow food for the family in there.

What is the most profitable thing to do with it, and is there a place I can get information on what sorts of grants/subsidies might be available from the government?  Its east facing, fairly sheltered from the prevailing wind though quite exposed, fencing is post with two runs of barbed wire.  I measured the perimeter of the three fields as 1km and we have very little money so new fencing is a huge investment. 

Is the best way to get a but of money (and get used to the idea of smallholding) to fence off a small area and keep a few pigs, or should we get sheep, or let the local farmer graze his cattle there to stop the grass getting too long? Or a pick your own flower farm?  Or some of lots of things?

Feeling very naive and scared - be gentle with me!

Thanks

Rosie

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
Re: Grants and subsidies
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 08:39:47 pm »
If you can give a rough idea of where in the country you are it would help. Also what is happening on the surrounding land, what are other folk doing ? And do you have any experience with animals ?
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 11:39:04 pm »
Offer it to a local farmer for now, until you decide what to do.  That way, you get to know the neighbours and will probably have a friendly bit of help on hand if you need it for fencing or when you decide to get sheep.

I also recommend starting with chickens on a small scale: 3 or 4 maybe, as a gentle introduction and fresh eggs which are out of this world (I was going to say "unbeatable", that makes them sound rather unappetising..) and they aren't hard to keep once you've learnt the basics.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 11:31:55 pm »
Rent the land out, in the meantime read and research, the profit in smallholding is next to nothing if you do really well, If you have a job smallholding is a hobby.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 11:51:29 pm »
The most profitable is renting out for horses ponies....but they will ruin your land.I have 12 acres which i rent out for sheep.The only reason that I am able to rent it is because I have good stock fencing..farm buildings..electic..auto water.My tenant is always being offered free grazing..but its a  lot of hassle for him moving them...so agree no money to be made.
Only grants I know are for solar panels

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 12:33:59 am »
Before renting anything beware making a farming tenancy before you have decided what to do long term. Depending on where you live the law is different and you could end up with a tenant who has the right to stay.
 Eight acres is actually not  a lot of ground, its only a lot when you need to mow it or put up fencing. I would pay someone to mow it and like all gardening look what other people are growing and why, then decide if you can make money from the land.
 Most of the grants available restrict you in some way and by the time you have filled out the paperwork you might as well cracked on with it.

gardenrosie

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 03:46:48 pm »
Hello

Thanks all

I have kept a few backyard chickens before so there will be a few of them in the garden, but am wondering what to do to manage the ground and have no experience of sheep or pigs let alone cattle

Its in Wiltshire and very steep - it has a few cattle on it through a grass keep agreement with a local farmer but I am keen to do something with it ourselves - maybe a combination of bees, pigs, sheep, glamping?  I am a landscaper but work from home so can spare a couple of hours a day for the land/whatever we do 

The fence is around 1km long around the site, post and two lines of barbed wire - is that enough for sheep or will they escape?  There is a dilapidated shelter about 5mx2m which we could re roof and four troughs which are maintained by the water company

Neighbours have sheep and cattle

In the few months we've been waiting to buy it docks and creeping buttercup have shot up across the fields

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 06:58:03 pm »
Will need completely refencing.  .....  stock fence required for sheep and lower barb removed .... if having cattle you may need to keep a top strand of barb.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 11:52:58 pm »
You need at least 5ha / 12.5 acres to qualify for any grants or aid now under the new BPS system so their is nothing their.

Your best bet - rent it out if you can, but in some areas you cant - some places grazing is free as their are not alot of animals and alot of small landowners wanting land grazed........ Other areas you can get 50p a sheep a week - so £20 a week is doable on your land.

Watch and learn for 2-3 years before making your decision - but be assured, If many people can jsut about make minimum wage on 50 Acres.... you wont make much on 8! plus your costs will be higher... no scale economy!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 07:16:18 am »
If you really want to make some money and you are a gardener ....  then plants is the way to go.  Depends on location.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 11:16:34 am »
You say Wiltshire... I lived in Wiltshire for nearly 20 years; much of the ground there is very very claggy when wet.  So don't rush in with any plans until you've seen it through a winter ;)

(Just realised you'll know all about the ground, being a gardener!   :-[)

If the local farmer is grazing it with cattle now, I'd keep on with that at first.  Make sure you have a proper agreement in place so that s/he doesn't gain permanent rights ;)   And, if the fence is cattle-proof now, make sure the fencing is the farmer's responsibility.  Which may mean you get little money, of course, but you also get it kept grazed and the fence in good order ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS