Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone doing Table Birds this Year ?  (Read 10519 times)

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Anyone doing Table Birds this Year ?
« on: May 17, 2015, 08:38:02 pm »
If so what are you doing ?

Bought in Broilers, Pure breeds or your own crosses ?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Anyone doing Table Birds this Year ?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 05:12:33 pm »
Copper Marans, Rhode red and Australorp here. Got some Silver laced Wyandottes and a few other bits and bobs too. 1 LS I think and a few Welsummer which I usually find to be hopeless but I think that's just my strain.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 05:23:25 pm »
the cockerel chicks and turkeys, if we could find some broiler chicks we would get some but don't know a local supplier.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 06:58:48 pm »
Ixworth X Dorking, and this year also their next generation. Might cross them with an Indian game as would like more breast meat.

Have some big Marans in with Cream Legbars for the dark green eggs so will have their cockerels too. No point in wasting them  ;)

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 08:25:29 pm »
In am planning on making some bird tables if that helps  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 02:38:21 pm »
what breeds? verdifish.
we only have pure scots greys. would like to try meat chicks and dispatch with 12 weeks. failing that we will stick to turkey hybrids.

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 07:18:14 am »
I'm doing quite a few this year, namely, La Bresse, La Bresse X IG, IG (dark and Jubilee), Brahma X IG as well as Muscovies. The aim is to bring them on French style, I.e. Long and slow with high protein ration at the end.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 10:49:58 am »
Interesting. What sort of high protein feed do you give them at the end and for how long?

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 04:09:37 pm »
Think about this Possom.

The bird intended to be a table bird has to have the inherited genetic make-up to put on meat, not fat.
You can give it protein, but after it has used what it needs to exist the rest gets put into store as fat, usually over the rump to be used when needed.

Find a breed or cross that has the capabilities of building a frame and furnishing it with flesh and matures at a reasonably fast time.
There used to be strains of breeds that did this, but sadly most have been lost to bad breeding practice.
Half, if not more of your roast is in the breeding and not in the feed.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 07:52:04 am »
Possum, the French use cereals soaked in butter milk but milk replacer from lambing would do. I'm in total agreement with Castlefarm regarding the breed and the breeding. The French employ this method 2-4 weeks prior to slaughter because they literally want to "fatten up" the birds as the marbling creates a different dimension to the flavour of the meat. I have chosen these breeds as they gain muscle naturally from just cereals and what they can forage. The X's are an experiment to see if I can create something superior to what I already have. For slow growing, I've never had to give my muscovys anything more than cereal.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 08:44:41 am »
This is really useful, particularly since I have some lamlac left over and was wondering what to do with it! Thanks to both of you for the detailed replies.

I only raise table birds  for our own use and so I'm afraid that, so far, they have had the same food as the layers. Ad lib layers pellets plus free range in an orchard. In fairness, the results have been reasonable. The flavour has been excellent but the birds have been small compared to the ones that we used to buy in the shops. I will try to be more scientific this year. :)

What sort of grain do you use? We always have rolled barley for the geese. Will that work for the chickens?

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 03:57:41 pm »
All my birds are fed the same. Wheat..Rolled Barley and Cut maize. With added Cod.liver oil and fish meal. Free range when not in breeding pens.

You really need Indian Game in the genetic make-up to put on the meat.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281?ref
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 03:59:20 pm by Castle Farm »
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 12:08:37 pm »
I have La Bresse.  I won't bother with them again as the cockerels are agressive rapists and I won't finish in cages.  The flavour is exceptional but the shape is not what one expects: big legs and narrow breast but still plenty of meat.

I've had Hubbards previously, which were lovely birds, fast growing but tasty.  I kept them on rather longer than the suggested 14 weeks and they remained tender and delicious.  They are eating machines though!

I've eaten various spare cockerels over the years with mixed success.  Some are surprisingly rank and a young age!

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 08:35:07 pm »
My La Bresse Cock bird is a big Gentleman although fertility is not good at the min so he may be getting the chop. my hens are very large as well and excellent layer of massive eggs.

My plan is to cross them with Dark IG next year of which i have just had a very good hatch (thanks Castle Farm) :thumbsup:

My hope is for a bit more meat from the IG and a quick finish and from the La Bresse and maybe keep a few hens back for a 3/4 cross the following year.

What do you think ?

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 07:14:19 am »
Hi Hev, sorry to hear about your experience with La Bresse. i guess you must have a strain that behaves like that. I've got quite a few of them and they are normally pretty docile. If you are looking for an ambundance of breast meat then you can be a little disappointed with LB. You've got to remember that the double breasted feature of the modern meat bird is a fairly recent phenomenon. LB is a breed that has been around for some 500 years and in the past leg meat was preferred over the breast.

Dave, so far my LB X Jubilee are coming on well. Pure white and look more or lees just like IG at this age, about 4 weeks. I'll be trying a LB cock with a dark IG hen next to see if there is much difference. I guess you could try Castle Farm's approach with the LB and IG by having an improved IG with LB and try crossing LB with IG till it breeds true? His birds look pretty good.

Possum, sorry for my late reply. I would use a mixture, if you can. Crushed barley will absorb the milk better also whole wheat. Maize a good thing too but much dearer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS