Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep or Goats  (Read 5580 times)

Indedog

• Joined May 2015
  • Hitchin
Sheep or Goats
« on: May 17, 2015, 02:53:39 pm »
Hi, If all comes together we will be taking on 10 acres of pasture from September of this year. I would like to start off with a small heard of sheep (probably Southdowns) but my partner is keen to look at a small heard of goats.
I would like advice on which would be the best to start off with from both a financial and practical points of view. 

This question may have been dealt with elsewhere but so far I have not found it.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Sheep or Goats
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:01:40 pm »
Goats will need a completely different management system from sheep - daily feeding, shelter available at all times, hay (usually) all year round etc etc, so you would need to read up and depending on your circumstances (like do you have a goathouse available onsite) you can make your choice.

Sheep are a flock, goats are a herd....

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 09:58:24 pm »
Find out what would sell better in your area - both direct from butcher and through the sales. Not much point having a herd of goats if you can't then move them on easily for EG.

Do you prefer the taste of goat or lamb/mutton?

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 10:22:41 pm »
and if you have milky goats you have to like goats milk!

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:28:27 am »
a small herd of goats can quickly turn into a large herd  :innocent:
we have both and both are geat animals to have around but goats are much more intensive and interactive and fun and the few sheep we have are for producing lamb, hogget & mutton
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 07:57:17 am »
Sheep are better grazers than goats who prefer a more fiberous diet.

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 08:49:14 am »
If you post this in the goat forum too, you may see some different opinions and ideas!  :thumbsup:
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 09:02:23 am »
The previous owner of our farm said the fences weren't good enough to keep goats in but were fine for sheep, so we've never kept goats.  I suggest going to an agricultural show and walking around the sheep and goat pens and see what catches your eye.  The main test has to be that you like what you see in the field.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 09:39:08 am »
So different, higher fences required, when ours have got out in the past they ve chewed the quad seats, peed over everything, beheaded all the flowers, de camped all the shrubs...... So naughty.  They re much better as they've got older, but I would defo say start with sheep, they as a rule are easier to keep in one place lol x

cu dubh

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 09:24:29 pm »
Go for Icelandic sheep.

They are a triple use breed. The fleeces are sought after by spinners, the meat is lean, and you can milk them to make sheep's cheese and lovely ice-cream.

They are also prolific breeders where twins are the norm.

The colours of the fleeces are varied

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 09:06:06 am »
Or Friesland milk sheep. My best from four ewes was quins, two sets of quads and two sets of triplets! The milk makes lovely butter, cheese and yoghurt and the meat is close grained and tasty. Fleeces are lovely.
Downside, they only milk for 7-8 months of the year and there is a biggish ratio of bone to meat.

Indedog

• Joined May 2015
  • Hitchin
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 01:35:38 am »
Thank you all for your very helpful comments and advice. I think we are going to start with sheep and maybe look again at goats in a year or two. We are considering Southdowns but cu dubh and devonlady you have certainly given us something to think about with the milking for cheese etc.  :thumbsup:

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 09:50:30 pm »
Is it possible to keep sheep and goats together?  I know this has come in the goat forum before and it seems like there is something to do with worming that is a problem.  I am thinking of keeping them together but thought I would find out more first.
I can easily fence the field in 2, but will this solve the worming problem.  I hope someone can explain this to me, or say if it is ok to keep sheep and goats together.
I keep pygmy goats and they are just for pets, and I was going to put some Suffolk's in with them to keep the grass down.
Thanks

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 10:22:37 pm »
The main issue is goats don't have a resistance to worms so unless you have a good worm management programme you might find your goats die!  I do graze both together for short spells but try an use the ponies to cross graze and reduce worm numbers. Plus my sheep are almost clear of worms.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS