Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Has anyone used a Grandpas chicken feeder?  (Read 9812 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Has anyone used a Grandpas chicken feeder?
« on: May 17, 2015, 10:12:25 am »
we saw them yesterday at the Smallholders Festival at Builth and were tempted. They aren't cheap but if they work are probably worth it.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: Has anyone used a Grandpas chicken feeder?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 11:15:16 am »
Never used one but only ever heard good things. I believe it takes a little while to train them to use it

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 11:55:20 am »
I would be really interested to hear other people's views on these feeders too as I'm thinking of getting one.  Trouble is we have 19 large hens and 1 bantam and I can't see how we can sort the weight issue out as apparently these feeders are quite exacting.  I'm desperate to stop the jackdaws and pigeons (tried everything else) but our Bantam doesn't weigh much more than one of those!  :thinking:

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 12:17:14 pm »
I bought one but haven't set it up yet.  A little worried about whether the call duck that lives with my chickens will be able to manage it.  The guy who sells them was really nice and helpful.  Will report back once I have it set up and see how it goes.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 12:55:32 pm »
The Grandpa is the only feeder we currently use for our flock of 8 large fowl. I love it.
The instructions say that it takes 10 to 14 days to train your chooks to operate it but it took ours no more than 4 days. Theres no mess from flicking pellets everywhere, its very easy to clean, we never lose feed to vermin. The hopper holds enough feed for our girls for 3 to 4 days. Its weatherproof ( it really is). And I quite like the sound the feeder makes when the lid closes as its reassuring to know the girls are feeding regularly ( a bit silly of me I  know!)
Downsides?
-The cost. They really are expensive but they will last a long long time so the saving in feed bills might well be worth it. As I bought it as a rat-proof feeder it was worth every penny to me..... and Ive never seen a rat or evidence of rats.
- Im not sure that it would necessarily work for bantams as you do need a bit of weight on the treadle to open it up.
- as ducks scoop up their feed the manufacturer recommend that you take the grid out for ducks. But then the hens will be able to flick the feed about. So I would think it wouldn't be so good if its feeding hens and ducks.

When ( and if) I manage to hatch my eggs I will definitely  buy another for the new hens

Is it time to retire yet?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 03:03:23 pm »
I've got 8 or so of the version Mole Valley sell and they are great. Not as good as the Granpas ones probably but I've got a lot of pens! Takes a whole 20kg bag. I site mine on paving slabs which makes it work better. Rat population definitely much smaller now and crows etc can't use them.

As for training, I put a flat stone on for a couple days so they get to know it's the feeder and then take it off.  Once one gets it, they all do. Funny watching them at first gently putting a foot on the treadle and then taking it off again. Only real issue I had were my leghorns who exploded into the air every time it made a noise. Took them about a week but they are there as well now.

Other issues would be spilt feed getting under the mesh treadle where they can't get it so I'm thinking of siting it on a raised mesh that they can get under so any spillage will be hoovered up. Also, the MVF ones are not totally waterproof on the seams but I have siliconed them inside. Plus they are quite tall which may be a problem in strong wind. I believe the Granpas ones are flatter.

But I would totally recommend the treadle concept and would probably invest in the best if I only wanted one.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:05:38 pm by Stereo »

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 04:08:20 pm »
We have used them for 5 years and wouldn't use anything else now. We use them for both ducks and chickens and our call ducks  and bantams use them with no issues.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 04:16:31 pm »
We have two which we haven't used yet. One was re-balanced to make the lid come down more slowly by stick-on lead weights under the treadle. Then I became worried that in cold icy weather the chicken's feet may stick to the treadle- like ungloved hands used to stick to car door handles, so I was going to fix a rubber pad to the treadle. Then I realised that during the training process the feeder has to be under cover because the lid is partially open. Then I read someone found a rat in theirs and then a report one hen had somehow got its head stuck under the closed lid. At that stage we put them into storage.

A well made product that at some stage we will utilise, but not yet. We have just built a Trigger Happy feeder unit which is a lot cheaper and just as effective.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 05:33:22 pm »
Hens certainly couldn't get their heads stuck in the MVF version. I doubt a rat could get in either.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 05:53:49 pm »
the only way a rat could get into a Grandpa feeder is if you didn't locate the hopper lid properly. Its weather proof even in the training period because the feeder lid ( the bit that opens with the treadle) is always partially over the feed trough; believe me, we have horizontal rain here and the feed never got wet.
The Grandpa feeder has 2 holes in the side that you use for training. You put a bolt ( well, in my case a bit of stick!) into the top hole for the first few days ( fully open) then move it down to the lower hole....except I never got to the lower hole as my girls got it so quickly.
Other varieties don't have a solid metal treadle plate so I can see that people might not like that. The Grandpa has a solid galvanised treadle. I also worried about feet freezing to it but it has never happened.
I cant fault it .....except Id like it to be half the price!
Is it time to retire yet?

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 07:37:08 pm »
We've got 3, wouldn't consider anything else now.  :thumbsup:

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 09:11:42 pm »
I don't understand how/why crows won't use them? I am also dubious about how weather proof they are when on a Western hillside  *happy to be convinced*

I have a couple of trigger happy feeder doojits that I've not used yet-seeing as the crows are happy to use my spring feeders, I expect the trigger happy ones will go the same way.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 11:48:30 pm »
A crow wouldn't be heavy enough to open it unless they ganged up.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 01:41:20 pm »
I don't understand how/why crows won't use them? I am also dubious about how weather proof they are when on a Western hillside  *happy to be convinced*

The lids (the hopper lid and the treadle lid) both have folded external edges so the aspect shouldn't really affect how weather proof they are. Even in the heaviest rain in a gale ours have kept the feed dry.

HTH.

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 10:28:41 pm »
I can see that I'm really going to have to get one...........  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS