Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 1st pigs arrived :) Hunkered down in long grass not ark !  (Read 4411 times)

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
1st pigs arrived :) Hunkered down in long grass not ark !
« on: May 16, 2015, 10:29:14 pm »
Phew.

Well we finally got our piggies. Drove them up the road into the paddock. A single escape but recovered and increased security of the fence !

Only problem is the pigs are hunkered down in long grass rather than finding and going into the ark. Will coax them in tomorrow now its dark but I am sure they will keep each other warm tonight.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
Re: 1st pigs arrived :) Hunkered down in long grass not ark !
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 10:39:51 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much greengumbo - it's pretty decent temperatures at the moment. I've had some take a few days to get into the routine of going in and out of the ark. I think it can sometimes be influenced on the type of housing they have been used to before they come to you.  :pig: :pig:

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 10:42:05 pm »
Just read your other post - they may just have settled where they know there is no electric shock risk if they've not been in there long. Trail of apples into the ark tomorrow may help...

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 09:21:12 am »
Well they are slowly getting used to the new surroundings and the electric fence :) A few zaps at each boundary and they run back into the middle.

I had to lead them to the water trough yesterday evening as I was worried they had not found it yet. A few splashes in the face and they got stuck in.

They slept next to the ark last night so a slight improvement. Have put treats inside so hopefully they will find it today and recognise it as a warm place to sleep.

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Well they found the ark no problem once the weather got worse !

I am concerned about the smallest one. She is noticeably smaller so could be the runt and is constantly wandering about on her own seemingly disorientated. The others have learned about the electric fence but she stumbles into it a lot and while I was watching she was circling the ark and bumping into it every so often. I read about salt poisoning but they have a constant water supply and its been heavy rain for the last few days. She is also not keen on eating much although liked milk and some oats.

Should I be worried or is she just adjusting to new pastures and stressed ?

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Well they found the ark no problem once the weather got worse !

I am concerned about the smallest one. She is noticeably smaller so could be the runt and is constantly wandering about on her own seemingly disorientated. The others have learned about the electric fence but she stumbles into it a lot and while I was watching she was circling the ark and bumping into it every so often. I read about salt poisoning but they have a constant water supply and its been heavy rain for the last few days. She is also not keen on eating much although liked milk and some oats.

Should I be worried or is she just adjusting to new pastures and stressed ?

Can she definitely see? Does she bump into things as much/at all when with the others or only when they are else where?

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 07:23:16 pm »
Seems to be when she is on her own.  The others stayed close to her at first but now go about in a twosome. My wife is down checking them now and trying to get the wee one to feed so will see what she says.

The fact she does not gobble up food even if you put it right at her mouth suggests it might be more than having no / poor sight ?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 08:49:41 pm »
Hi
The big mistake you made was putting them straight in at the electric fence. Normally you would make them a hurdle/solid fence enclosure round their ark so they get used to the fact thats where to sleep. Once they got the hang of that you gradually let them near the electric then if they get zapped the ark is safe haven.
At present you've scared them!
The little one may be getting bullied at feeding time or shes so scated by the fence shes going round in circles not knowing what to do ....i takevit they are floppy ear pigs? So her line of sight wll be limited anyway. Try feeding her near ark so she gets her bearings and make sure she drinks even if you have to syringe water into her mouth. Check her temp as well to be on safe side.
Pigs are all learning see pig management tab www.gospbc.co.uk
Hth
Mandy  :pig:

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 09:54:28 am »
Cheers for the replies !

So a good update. We think the smallest one is the runt and may not be properly weaned yet. I think she has basically not been getting much food at all so we are now giving her pellets mixed with milk and she gobbled them down last night and this morning.

They are all finding the ark fine now and using it as shelter. Hopefully the wee one will get stronger and soon perk up. She was snuffling about with the other two when I went along this morning.

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 11:59:36 am »
Good to hear you've got them on their feet/trotters!

For milk, please remember cow milk is too much for even mature pigs. Try to use goats milk if possible, this is a close substitute for sows milk, or buy some powdered sows milk  :pig:

Good luck!  :thumbsup:
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 07:41:29 pm »
Glad things sounding more positive. I used Heygates piglet creep grow food with a little one when he was young and getting a bit pushed about. From recall it is 22% protein and in really little pellets suitable for little ones up to (I think) about 10 weeks. Heygates will ship or tell you who the closest stockist is if you give them a call which I did.  :pig:

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 04:53:46 pm »
Well pig was getting a bit better but still disorientated so the vet came and gave her a shot of antibiotics. Turns out it was an ear infection and she is now right as rain and happy as a pig in....well you know.

Cannot believe how quickly they are growing. 1 week and they are visibly much bigger.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS