Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Culling  (Read 16853 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Culling
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2015, 09:13:58 am »
I'm truly shocked at some of the quotes on here which suggest inhumane ways of killing sheep (or any animal).  If people can't afford vets' fees, then don't keep animals.  It is illegal to kill animals in some of the ways suggested because of the suffering inflicted and you could be prosecuted if found out. 

I would ask the vet's advice about these lambs and be guided by it.  If these animals need to be put down, then only the vet or a registered person should do it.
a lot of people cannot afford vet fees, if an animal is suffering you shoot it and then get the knacker to take it away. The problem is most vets charge massive bills for putting down one sheep. If say you have a cow suffering or any big animal then yes call the vet out, but if its a sheep and you know it hasn't long for this world, then shooting it is the more merciful way of despatching it, with no vets fees attached.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2015, 09:23:56 am »

.... the correct decision has to be hard, it shouldn't be (leaving them suffer is totally unacceptable).

If you are used to making that decision and are confident your judgement is good then it need not be a hard decision and I would argue you are a better stockman if you can make that decision quickly when it needs to be made.

I know a great many people do feel they have not done an animal justice without an extended period of contemplation, even when the prognosis is clearly grave. Often where these people are persuaded to act quickly they do feel terrible guilt afterwards. The fact that making the decision was hard and/or prolonged is of no comfort to the animal that gets put down (or suffers on).

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2015, 09:30:10 am »
The vet has to charge you to come out or he would be out of business, £30? He has to examine the animal £16? And then charge for materials used (not sure of cost, say £10?) so it has to be £56 (for arguments sake).

PTS with a gun is easy, but can go wrong. Take a bit of time to look up exactly the part of the brain you are looking to destroy and a lot of time checking it is safe to shoot (the animal wont move, the background is soft so no rebounds etc) and then yes it can be a very good way to PTS. 10p for a cheap 12b cartridge.

snowyriver

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2015, 10:23:10 am »
the correct decision has to be hard, it shouldn't be (leaving them suffer is totally unacceptable).

If you are used to making that decision and are confident your judgement is good then it need not be a hard decision and I would argue you are a better stockman if you can make that decision quickly when it needs to be made.

We all take great pride in thinking we are doing what's best for the animals we are responsible for.

Personally I agree with Me and Robyn that the best stockmen/women prevent unnecessary suffering by making quicker decisions and being able to differentiate between one's personal feelings and an animal's welfare.

its always very hard. if it isn't hard for you then please stop rearing animals.

Kimbo, I'm absolutely sure you care passionately about your animals, but I can't agree with your sentiment that people who don't find the decision hard should stop rearing animals, we all develop in confidence as we gain experience.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2015, 10:55:18 am »
I'm truly shocked at some of the quotes on here which suggest inhumane ways of killing sheep (or any animal).  If people can't afford vets' fees, then don't keep animals.  It is illegal to kill animals in some of the ways suggested because of the suffering inflicted and you could be prosecuted if found out. 

I would ask the vet's advice about these lambs and be guided by it.  If these animals need to be put down, then only the vet or a registered person should do it.

I'm sorry, but that's a hugely unrealistic thing to suggest.

Maybe i've missed it, but the only inhuman method of dispatching a sheep that was mentioned on here, was the cruel muppet, who used plastic bags. Now, obviously that is disgusting, not to mention criminal. As far as I can see, all the other methods mentioned (maybe I've missed something) are legitimate.

The suggestion that livestock should only be put down by a vet, and that if you cannot afford to do this, you shouldn't keep stock, is just dumb.

If an animal is found to be suffering etc, and you have the legal means to dispatch it yourself, i.e the correct fire-arm, then there is absolutely no issue with doing so. In many cases, it would be far kinder, then keeping the animal in it's state of suffering whilst you got the vet out / bundled it into a trailer and took it down to the vets.

Being able to take care of your stock, and do the right thing for it, sometimes means that you need to make the decision to end it's life as quickly and humanely as possible. It is part of farming.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2015, 06:21:48 pm »
Ive had plenty of experience of having animals PTS....more in recent years than Im comfortable with actually.
The experience hasn't made me more confident or made my decision-making easier.
Is it time to retire yet?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2015, 11:43:26 am »
Out of interest, what is the correct firearm for PTS'ing a sheep or lamb?  And what training do you need in order to get a license?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2015, 12:35:25 pm »
 If you google euthanasia in sheep uk you will get all the information ,  no license needed only need to be competent / confident  plus you can buy a captive bolt without a firearm certificate .    After killing many sheep personally I have to say it doesn't get any easier  :(

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2015, 01:38:34 pm »
If you google euthanasia in sheep uk you will get all the information ,  no license needed only need to be competent / confident  plus you can buy a captive bolt without a firearm certificate .    After killing many sheep personally I have to say it doesn't get any easier  :(
Perfect, thanks.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2015, 11:44:20 pm »
http://www.sheepvetsoc.org.uk/sites/default/files/Casualty%20sheep%20K%20Hover.pdf

This site covers the practicalities, though it doesn't make pretty reading.  Interesting that blunt force for a small lamb is legal and recommended.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2015, 09:13:58 am »
Also worth noting the Red Tractor farm assurance scheme guidelines for on farm euthanasia, http://assurance.redtractor.org.uk/resources/000/824/486/On-farm_Killing_CattleSheep_PrintatHome.pdf

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2015, 02:46:14 pm »
Good links

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2015, 08:26:43 pm »
I have put lambs down before in what would appear barbaric ways but with instant effect. They were ones than it was the only fair option for them to have a quick end. However the thought of putting a plastic bag on one makes me cringe. Useful links.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS