Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scouring milker  (Read 1482 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Scouring milker
« on: May 14, 2015, 08:02:22 pm »
Hi all, I just want a bit of advice i.e. is there anything you would be doing that I'm not doing. My BA milker (5 years old) has suddenly started scouring this morning. It's practically brown water and I have seen some mucus on the straw in her shed.

She is housed with another non milking doe. We have given her electrolytes although she is still drinking. She is nibbling hay and a few ivy leaves which I picked for her. She looks very sorry for herself. She had a FEC last month which was practically zero. She has access to a couple of acres of scrub with mainly hawthorn and elder trees. Oh and load of nettles, but neither of the girls usually venture very far. Other than the electrolytes and rumen starter is there anything else I should do? I have some new goats arriving this weekend (a couple have kids) so am particularly, maybe over?, anxious.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Scouring milker
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 09:11:50 pm »
Could be a number of things but watery diarrhoea is not good and the fact she's milking will mean she hasn't as much reserve. If I were your vet I'd ask for a faecal sample for coccidia in particular. I'd call your vet for advice and maybe get them to check a sample.
Hope you get to the bottom of it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS