Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead Weight  (Read 2955 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Dead Weight
« on: May 14, 2015, 04:45:06 pm »
Our two Kune-Kune pigs went yesterday age 11 months. I tried very hard not to let them get over fat as my last two were. Still fed them pig nuts, fruit and carrots but was more careful on the amount. Dead weights are 48. something kilos and 50. something kilos. I would not say they were thin but now worried maybe I did not feed enough. They rooted more. I fed them nuts twice a day but fruit and veg throughout the day to keep them happy and busy. I hate when they go, miss having them around but the small paddock needs time to rest so not getting anymore for a while. I much prefer raising the weaners to lambs but we can get the lambs done at Inverurie which is 40 mins away where as the pigs go to Millers of Speyside, quite a distance. Feeling low now.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Dead Weight
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 04:46:36 pm »
Sorry for starting another post on this. Just seen someone talking about dead weights.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 06:33:47 pm »
We've had a few kunes go away, and deadweights of 48 and 50 sound not bad at all, especially if they're not fat that's a reasonable return.
I find it much harder to send the pigs away, have a bit of a lump every time we have done, although I have home slaughtered lambs we've fed on the bottle and been fine with that!
Our last were 50, 55 and 60, and we got 70kg of sausages back (hence the other post comparing dead weights to sausage return, as we're not convinced the butcher is being totally honest with us)

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 08:04:03 pm »
There's such a range in size within the breed that some don't ever get much beyond that size.
As long as they are getting 1lb of pig nuts each per day you're not underfeeding so please don't beat yourself up about it  :hug:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 09:41:18 am »
What butcher do you use fsmuntter.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 01:08:12 am »
Well pigs are now in the freezer and all looks very good. Not so fat as last time which is an improvement. This is the first time my OH did not do the butchering himself and even he had to admit it was a lot easier.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS