Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clamps  (Read 7068 times)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Clamps
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 08:38:12 am »
Must say we originally bought the clamps, think they got used twice? Better used for sealing bags for the freezer.  There's no substitute then giving the cord a pinch of need be and going in with the iodine. Like others have said it could catch on stuff, cause real problems.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 10:48:58 am »
Jeez there's some weird folk about..still i suppose a few weeks herbal marinade makes for a better casserole.. along with burying my ear wax and nail slippings under the rhubarb, sneezing on the cabbage and flobbing on the lettuce.....and i won't even remind folk of the really yucky options.

Where a navel clip is necessary (human or otherwise) I;d guess it's an easier single handed jon that tying a ligature. If using ligatures try to ue something sterile and biodegradable and theoetically non-capillary attracting

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 11:10:32 am »
To me it sounds like a lot of not needed work, the lambs umbilical naturally dries out (on a warm day it only takes a few hours). If lambing indoors then spray with iodine. Clamps are totally unnecessary and are not only a waste of time but could potentially cause problems.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 08:19:32 pm »
 ???  can someone clear this up for me please          I thought the umbilical clamps were for the rare occasion when a navel keeps bleeding and this can be used to try to seal it off?     We lost a newborn ewe lamb a few years ago due to her navel slowly continuing to seep a little blood - despite pinching it etc. (mother had chewed it quite close to the abdomen).   Taken to vet and he tried tying it but by that time she had lost too much blood and died. 

Is it the case that some people use them routinely on all lambs?   never heard of that and it would seem unnecessary given that 99.9% don't seem to need intervention and as long as iodine dipped all is usually well.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 07:33:59 pm »
Jeez there's some weird folk about..still i suppose a few weeks herbal marinade makes for a better casserole.. along with burying my ear wax and nail slippings under the rhubarb, sneezing on the cabbage and flobbing on the lettuce.....and i won't even remind folk of the really yucky options.

:roflanim:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS