Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BIG KIDS!!  (Read 4304 times)

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
BIG KIDS!!
« on: May 10, 2015, 02:44:51 pm »
Hiya all. She only had 2 when she usually  has  3 or 4....however REALLY  big kids. Nd she keeps rocking on her feet....
She's had barley, alfalfa, seaweed, raspberry  leaf and ivy. Also been nibbling hay, but I haven't seen or noticed that she has drunk. Bowel moving nd she's passing water..
Kids have suckled, wee'd nd seen yellow poo....
Do I need to be worrying.....can't  help feeling sumats not right..... ???
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: BIG KIDS!!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 02:58:32 pm »
Have you offered warm water? mine ususally like a warm drink just after,
some people give a warm mash.
Did you see the afterbirth?

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 05:18:30 pm »
ALWAYS warm water and molassas after kidding!! She had a good go on that...Nd yes saw the afterbirth,  fairly certain there was two, as on each side of the shed....just nor sure about her.....

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 05:56:10 pm »
Don't give much in the way of concentrates for the first couple of days - mine always just get some soaked warm sugar beet shreds with a dusting of rolled oats mixed in. The I increase the oats and add a bit of dairy nuts (or concentrate) in, then increase that. By about a week to 0 days they are on a nearly full ration.

Warm water with either molasses or honey.

See if you can let her walk for a bit and see if she is a bit stiff or unwilling to move a lot - in that case she could be low on Calcium. If she has a lot of milk and she is a bit wobbly, you could offer her some of her own milk (but in a different bowl/bucket from your milking one and not straight after milking out) - good source of calcium and a pick-me up for goats not quite right. She may not take it though, mine never do, but I know others love it!

Feel her udder and if tight, take off some colostrum and freeze for next year (ice cube size - defrosts easily and quickly if needed in an emergency). Just take off as much as is needed to make the udder feel soft-ish, not empty.

If kids are curled up and sleeping - wake them up every so often and check that they stretch on getting up - sign of a full belly.

Boys or girls? Photo?

Anyway - congratulations!

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 07:06:41 pm »
Soo glad you seen the post Anke! :excited:
Do you know what; she's  always been keen on her own milk! ! Right down to sucking herself! lol
And I was telling her I was gonna milk her tomorrow! Her udders sooo big, as are the kids,  they're  on their knees to suckle!!
How's your girl with the huge udder? Did all go well?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 10:15:23 pm »
If she likes the milk - definitely let her have some.

She may also just be a bit worn out...

My girl with her big udder and hypocalcaemia kidded fine with triplets and is milking 5.5kgs now at 8 weeks post-kidding. Pleased with her, as she is a BT x GG, so not a huge goat by any means. However her ligaments have become very slack, meaning that she will not be able to kid again... quite sad about it as she is only 3... she is eating well and happy in herself, but her shoulders stick up (she has a hump) and her hind pasterns are completely loose, so she walks quite funny. Vet is quite surprised by it, hasn't seen it before, but I have heard from other goatkeepers that it happens occasionally. So we will see how it goes over summer...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 10:04:56 am »
How's your girl this morning?

Sorry forgot - did you take her temperature? If it is high, an antibiotic may be wise.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 09:11:08 am »
So good to hear your girl  OK,  even if she can't  kid again. Could try her with some rosemary nd comfrey see if that helps her.

My girl had the Vet out y'day morn, nd had antibiotics, calciject, painkiller and antibiotic pessaries. I went into the shed later nd she was laid with her head on post, didn't move when I went  in, I grabbed her horns to move her nd she was floppy. I thought she was dead!! I  never  want to see that again. .

I have willow and raspberry coming this morning,  and she's  had molassas and yogurt! Also some of her own milk...still a bit wobbly,  but 2 girls of her own should give her the will to live too.....fingers crossed. .. :fc:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 10:26:42 am »
See my reply in your other thread. Forgot cabbages, esp broccoli or kale.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 06:47:52 pm »
OK.  She seems to be either losing her milk or the kids are draining her, (which has NEVER happened before....yield normally 8-9 pints per day) doesn't  seem to have her appetite  back,  even when out,(which is a bit tricky in this weather over here,  don't  want pneumonia next!) nd not really eating concentrate or browse.  Had some bicarb y'day nd molasses,  didn't want molasses tonite though, nd out of bicarb....
Hopefully  weather better here tomorrow.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 06:15:39 am »
She will almost certainly have lactational ketosis, same as pregnancy toxaemia, just post-kidding. You will need to treat her with Ketos-aid or similar, and I would think she may also benefit from calcium.

Give loads of treats!!!!

Taking the kids off should also be helpful, but you may not be in a position to get them onto the bottle now as they are a bit older. Give the kids some calf mix, oats to get them interested in food other than milk.

:fc: she gets better.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 08:11:57 pm »
Well folk's. ..she's  on her second lot of antibiotics.....penstrep
she's  had a keto aid stuff but HATES it!!
Anything I can make up for her?
Also on a painkiller....
Vet thinks cross infection  after pessaries...had student there nd wondering if student's  damaged her...I know they've  gotta learn but surely they  have to be competent ....
she has a white discharge now also...
feel a bit out of my league here...
had raspberry nd willow.....don't  know what else to do for her.... :-\

Kids OK

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 10:21:32 pm »
Did she have an assisted delivery - otherwise how come she has an infection? I have found that AB pessaries are no good, as most of it gets flushed out with the afterbirth/the gunge that comes out for a few weeks afterwards. So now use injectable and long-acting version if possible.

Can't really recommend anything other than possibly stronger AB's and I have found flunixin (an anti-inflammatory) cheers them up (but if she is already on a painkiller then that's probably enough). Combivit?

Is she still not eating? You could try drenching her with Ceto Phyton instead of Ketos-aid which most of mine don't mind. Did the vet think she may also be in need of Calcium?

Bananas, as much outside grazing as she will have - sunshine is always good!

Is the discharge smelly - I would be concerned about that.

Sorry my brain is not quite with it - off for my 1st goat show of the year tomorrow and nothing really packed yet...

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 01:49:50 pm »
I had to give babies a bit of a pull but that's  it..
She's been out nd is getting her udder back. However just lost one of her babies due to post debudding meningitis
DEVASTATED  both of us....

Good luck with the show!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS