Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 Tamworth Gilts for Sale  (Read 2831 times)

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Strathaven, South Lanarkshire
    • Templeland Cottage
2 Tamworth Gilts for Sale
« on: May 10, 2015, 11:34:52 am »
We have decided to sell our Pigs which we bought to breed from but could never source a boar.

They are sisters, born on the 1st September 2011. They are registered. Sire is from the Golden Ball line and Dam is Rita line.

Two strong healthy pigs. Offers considered.

We are in Strathaven, South Lanarkshire for View/Pick Up.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 12:46:17 pm by Templelands »

Genem

• Joined Oct 2014
Re: 2 Tamworth Gilts for Sale
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 11:45:52 pm »
If you want a Boar then, I've just listed out two sows and a good young Tamworth Boar, if that's of any interest to you ? All nice friendly animals and two good litters last year. Happy to assist with delivery - we are just north of Stirling.

My oldest lad has gone off to Uni for 4 years so looking to move his pigs to a good home.

Thanks.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 08:36:01 am »
You describe your girls as gilts so I assume they have never had a litter. Chances are by now they won't so they are  not going to be useful breeding pigs. I'm afraid the options for them are limited.

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
    • Templeland Cottage
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 08:53:46 pm »
Yup, you are right no litters. Looks like sausages. Butcher reckons good bacon and sausages should come from them. Great girls though, tried so long for a boar.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 09:36:01 pm »
If you decide to try again with other pigs give me a shout when you are looking for a boar. I've always got a kunekune here (Lesmahagow) use him to kick start their breeding and AI for future litters. Any boar is better than none in that situation  :) Or if you're not keen on the kunekune I know a few people who have pigs in the area  :)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 12:50:45 pm »
remember you can AI with pedigree tamworths from Deerpark. solves many a problem with sourcing boars.

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
    • Templeland Cottage
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 09:29:21 pm »
Thanks happy, I'll bear that in mind :-)

Shygirl, I'd have no idea how to start. Ours still come into season. Worth a shot?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 10:06:19 pm »
hi, im not sure with your old girls as they get fatty ovaries after a while so conceiving will be hard  at their age. but bear it in mind for your next pigs. try and ai them at about 10mths old. its not difficult to do yourself as you get instructions etc and costs about £25 a shot.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS