Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: kune kune dead weights=??? sausages  (Read 11118 times)

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: kune kune dead weights=??? sausages
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 08:14:56 am »
These 3 little pigs were not fat !
How do you know that? Did you see the carcasses? Did you condition score the live pigs before they went? It's quite possible for a pig that doesn't look fat to be carrying a good amount of lard.

Because the one question I did ask was how fat they were so we could see how close we were with our condition scores ,he said not fat at all !!!!

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 09:26:30 am »
is it just a myth thaat kune kunes dont dig
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 10:32:27 am »
[/quote

If they have enough grazing then they wont dig if grazing is tight they will ,this is our experience!!!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 01:26:15 pm »
These 3 little pigs were not fat !
How do you know that? Did you see the carcasses? Did you condition score the live pigs before they went? It's quite possible for a pig that doesn't look fat to be carrying a good amount of lard.

Because the one question I did ask was how fat they were so we could see how close we were with our condition scores ,he said not fat at all !!!!
OK so the pigs weighed 165kg on the hook. Assuming not much fat was binned you should have been looking at maybe 90kg of boned out meat. Assuming the butcher used say 75% meat in the sausages you should have had a pile somewhere in the region of 120kg which is a lot more than 70kg.

HappyHippy

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 09:25:42 pm »
[/quote

If they have enough grazing then they wont dig if grazing is tight they will ,this is our experience!!!
Just to add my tuppenceworth  ;) they'll generally dig a little while they're young and tend to stop as adults....with the exception of when the grass dies back. Some however never stop, but they'll not usually trash the ground providing they've got enough space (third of an acre as an absolute minimum and ideally more!) and the damage they do is nothing compared to traditional breeds.
HTH

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 01:19:50 pm »
I have just found an exercise my friend did when he sent in a pig for sausage.

It was a saddleback gilt and it's dead weight was 46.13 kilo (Yours averaged 55 kilo)

Meat left for sausage once boned out and trimmed was 21.85 kilo

Total weight of sausage was 31.62 kilo

Three pigs of an average of 46.13 would have netted over 90 kilos of meat.  So based on the above the your three would have netted over 100 kilo's. :thinking:

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 09:31:31 pm »
Earlier I said I got 90kg  sausages from our 2 kunes who were a year old but it was actually only 60 kg. I don't know what the dead weight was but I do know the butcher saifd they were good and  didn't have a lot of fat on them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS