Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: kune kune dead weights=??? sausages  (Read 11106 times)

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
kune kune dead weights=??? sausages
« on: May 07, 2015, 12:08:11 pm »
Hi fellow keepers of kunes ,we recently sent away 3 kunes with a total of 165kgs Dead weight .all were made into sausages so my question is how many kilos of the good stuff should we expect back ???

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: kune kune dead weights=??? sausages
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 12:23:23 pm »
A lot  ;D
Sorry, I couldn't resist that but hopefully someone who knows about these things will respond soon
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 09:05:30 pm »
Cheeky bump. ::)

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 09:38:21 pm »
If I remember rightly we got about 90kg of sausages back from 2 KK's which were about a year old and all meat went into sausages with the butcher saying they were the best kk carcasses he'd ever seen as we were very strict with their food.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 09:12:33 am »
It'll depend on how fat they were, how much rusk the butcher uses in the sausage mix etc etc etc but I'd be guessing at around 130kg - do you feel short changed by the butcher?

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 09:45:55 am »
Short changed  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: From 165kg dead weight we got 70 kgs back !!!!????????????

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 10:30:38 am »
Deadweight is basically the pig with it's insides removed so the head is still on and the legs. You then lose the weight of the head, lower legs and bones. To the meat left the butcher adds water, rusk and seasoning which then adds some weight again to make your sausages. So, you didn't start with 165kg of meat.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 02:14:39 pm »
We're aware its not 165 kg meat, but I'm fairly sure it is more than 70

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 08:33:54 pm »
Deadweight is basically the pig with it's insides removed so the head is still on and the legs. You then lose the weight of the head, lower legs and bones. To the meat left the butcher adds water, rusk and seasoning which then adds some weight again to make your sausages. So, you didn't start with 165kg of meat.

Would it be possible to explain or point out to me where I mentioned 165kg of meat ???

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 09:43:09 am »
You said in your post that you had 3 pigs, total 165kg dead weight.  I merely pointed out what dead weight was as some people think that is the weight of meat. Sorry if you feel offended I did that.

I didn't make your sausage, so if you feel shortchanged then why don't you have a chat with your butcher?  ???

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 01:13:33 pm »
Harmony firstly sorry if I bit your head of theres no excuse  ! As to speaking to the butcher I wanted to do my research 1st as forewarned is forearmed but still not sure as to wether we take it on the chin and find a different more honest butcher ,the reasons for this are political and could create more issues later on ,than its worth !!! Thanks everyone for your comments!

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 08:10:37 am »
As Harmony said DW is the whole pig minus its pluck to make the sausages the butcher would have removed all meat from bone if the pigs carried extra fat that would have been disposed of as all butcher have a meat fat ratio to their sausage recipe. So with that in mind the return was possibly correct. 

Having made a KK into sausages myself there is a lot of wastage from the excess fat …..we never wasted it we made lard but the butcher would have disposed of it.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 08:41:39 am »
These 3 little pigs were not fat !

Basil

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 05:39:45 pm »
Hi, we have had no problems with our local butcher, but some have. Dead weights not adding up and meat not being the quality that was sent. We are using a different butchers for our latest pigs and fingers crossed the 746 kg will turn out to be tasty. We put our faith in people being honest but unless you are standing beside the butcher who only knows what can happen. I hope you resolve the problem.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 07:52:33 am »
These 3 little pigs were not fat !
How do you know that? Did you see the carcasses? Did you condition score the live pigs before they went? It's quite possible for a pig that doesn't look fat to be carrying a good amount of lard.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS