Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cucumber mystery  (Read 6558 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Cucumber mystery
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 06:37:04 pm »
5 courgette plants, I hope you like courgettes 2-3 plants feeds a family of 6 more courgettes than I can face eating for a good couple of months.

They dry beautifully. Slice thinly and dry in dryer, low oven, out in hot sunshine or whatever on trays in single layers. Make lovely snacks or nibbles with drinks.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 09:54:40 pm »
5 courgette plants, I hope you like courgettes 2-3 plants feeds a family of 6 more courgettes than I can face eating for a good couple of months.

They dry beautifully. Slice thinly and dry in dryer, low oven, out in hot sunshine or whatever on trays in single layers. Make lovely snacks or nibbles with drinks.

Brilliant - I shall definitely be trying that  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 10:25:14 pm »
Starting to feel lucky, this is my first year growing cucumbers. As the greenhouse wasn't built until recently started them in the house and moved them out to greenhouse about a month ago. Have 5 all about a metre tall and already enjoyed 2 cucumbers. Yummy :excited:they still seem to be fine and have loads of fruit growing
________
Caroline

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 10:56:23 pm »
I went to the garden centre today to buy some seeds and they were selling yellow courgette plants so I bought three (only me eating them as well) and three butternut squash plants. I also have lots of herbs to go in my new herb bed and some globe artichoke plants to try out. And some beetroot seeds and lots more compost. Cost me a fortune.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 11:30:35 pm »
Sudanpan - it might be vine weevil larvae eating the roots. The adults love old compost and the young larvae are so small they look like bits of grit. It is only when they get bigger that they start eating roots. Have a rummage around for little white c-shaped things with 6 tiny wiggly legs. >:(

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 11:00:04 pm »
Starting to feel lucky, this is my first year growing cucumbers. As the greenhouse wasn't built until recently started them in the house and moved them out to greenhouse about a month ago. Have 5 all about a metre tall and already enjoyed 2 cucumbers. Yummy :excited:they still seem to be fine and have loads of fruit growing

Mmmmm ...sweet pickled mini or vertically sliced 3 inch long cuc's done in hot 3%to 4 % white spiced sweetened vinegar with  six or seven sprigs of chopped dill ..
absolute heaven , stuff to die for . French beans also done the same are just as good .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 06:56:05 pm »
We have binned the old compost - deffo something had a go at the roots. The new plants are growing nicely  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS