Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig ark bedding  (Read 5338 times)

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Pig ark bedding
« on: May 05, 2015, 08:37:27 am »
How often is it advisable to change the bedding in the pig ark? I have had 2 first time weaners for 4 weeks with plenty of hay in their wooden ark. It is dry, looks clean and has no odour. Is there any reason to change it as a matter of routine?

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
Re: Pig ark bedding
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 10:56:27 am »
We're on our third set of weaners now and generally just add a little more straw on top when it looks a bit thin. They seem quite happy and have no problems sleeping in there at various times of the day!

If it all looks clean, dry and smells okay that's a pretty good guide for me and our pig ark is just on the ground in some woods (rather than concrete).

I have come across some who say you should disinfect a pig ark on a monthly basis though! Maybe I've just been lucky so far or perhaps my Tamworths are just very healthy pigs?  ;D

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 12:39:43 pm »
We clean our pigs arks maybe twice a year !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 01:10:33 pm »
I bed the ark with straw for the weaners coming and top it up if required; clean it out when they go. They don't toilet in it so it stays clean. If only other species behaved similarly  :eyelashes:

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 01:21:18 pm »
I did the same. Just topped up the straw if started to look thin. They didn't toilet in there and it looked clean. We have just had weaners from 13-26 weeks old.
________
Caroline

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 04:29:14 pm »
Thank you for your replies. Just needed reassurance that I was not missing something. When I went into the ark myself this morning after a night of rain it was very cosy.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 06:29:55 am »
A good doormat of straw outside the ark will keep the mud out (hopefully)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 10:58:28 pm »
When I went into the ark myself this morning after a night of rain it was very cosy.
I used to climb in on a frosty morning, nice and cosy with the boys,and as Devonlady says "Doormat".Just gave fresh straw with new batch and topped it up as needed, pigs are quite good at house keeping  :)

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 02:00:26 pm »
Personally I would stick to good quality clean Straw as bedding, obviously change when required. The problem with using hay as bedding is that it a) it's more expensive, b) it compresses much more than straw and so a lot more will be needed and c) if it gets wet or damp it can quickly go mouldy and there is a possibility of the pigs inhaling the mould spores and developing respiratory problems. :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 02:11:59 pm »
Provided the growers don't dung inside if the weather's bad I just keep the straw topped up until they go for slaughter.  Breeding stock is cleaned out as needed or hair and skin debris tends to build up in the corners.  I don't suppose they mind it, but I do!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS