Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suitable fly repellent?  (Read 9751 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Suitable fly repellent?
« on: May 03, 2015, 10:52:00 pm »
Now the warmer weather is on its way hopefully, my thoughts are turning to prevention of flystrike. I should be getting my ewes sheared about mid May so don't want to use any chemicals that would be a problem to my shearer, but want to protect against flystrike in the mean time. Last year I used 'Barriers Blowfly Repel' which seemed very good but it stained the fleeces which I use for spinning. I wondered what other people have found effective that maybe didn't stain the fleece yellow? Thank you
4 pet sheep

Tam

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Wiltshire
Re: Suitable fly repellent?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 10:57:19 pm »
Crovect - but you'd probably have to retreat after shearing.  I am fortunate with Wiltshire Horn - they don't need shearing.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 08:13:15 am »
We are in North Lincolnshire and will be ringing the shearer today

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:25:09 am »
I treat with dynamite pre shearing and then click once the new fleece has grown a bit
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 08:46:42 am »
Mmmm clikzen but that s still got 7 weeks clearance. What about clearing them real short on the bum and maybe through shoulder to give little clearance for the flies to Lay?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 12:50:14 pm »
Have you looked at BLOWFLY traps .

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 03:18:56 pm »
ectofly? it comes out blue, but does come off when washing fleeces as far as ive been told, we use it an seems to do the job
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:25:42 pm by beagh-suffolks »

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 11:04:22 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. Ectofly sounds interesting.  I'll go and have a look round my local agricultural merchant - see what they've got. They seem to have loads of things for horses, wondered if any of those would be suitable? Has anyone tried them?
4 pet sheep

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 11:39:18 pm »
Take my word: fly repellants for horses are nigh on useless.  Most horse forums have threads rueing this fact and come up with such things as listerine or a mix of paraffin and detol as being more effective. 

I used Coopers/Pfizer Spot On last year, which is only used on established fly strike, but helps keep most nasties at bay as well. I don't remember any staining on the fleece as you put it on the skin.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 08:55:20 am »
I'm trying neem oil.  Spray it on at 4 weekly intervals.

wait to see if it works.

Crbecky10

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 09:27:19 am »
Crovect to prevent fly strike. Ectofly doesn't last as long or have as much of an effect as crovect.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 11:03:05 am »
Crovect is permethrin, which presumably is one of the chemicals you are trying to avoid. However, as mentioned on a previous thread, it can be diluted significantly and still be effective against blowfly, but less potentially harmful to your shearer. It needs to be diluted with an oil, as opposed to water, to prevent it just running off the fleece. I have found dilution (about 5x) with red diesel very effective. I tried for the first time last year and got no blowfly strike, even though I didn't shear until July. I've also put it on my mule this year and so far it has prevented her getting sweet itch, in spite of the midges coming thick and fast in the last week.
You could also use paraffin for dilution, or liquid paraffin (aka pig oil) - obtainable in 5l packs  from agricultural merchants.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:05:28 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 04:51:50 pm »
Not sure I'd want to handle a fleece with diesel on it either though.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 12:00:37 am »
Hence the option of using liquid paraffin, which is the prime ingredient of baby oil. :sunshine:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 05:06:04 pm »
What about an infusion of quassia chip and citronella, smells disgusting to flies and citronella helps keep mosquitoes at bay too.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS