Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: progress report (central fife)  (Read 3355 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
progress report (central fife)
« on: May 01, 2015, 07:34:28 pm »
just wondering how people are progressing in the veg patch, particularly near me.

carrots are starting to sprout in the beds

early parsnips in the cold frame are nearly ready to go out, more parsnips have been planted direct.

the early potatoes in pots are sprouted and coming on ok in their sheltered corner.

french and runner beans are in pots on windowsill just sprouted.

early peas were sown direct last weekend and haven't sprouted yet.

leeks in cold frame still coming on well...

i don't have a greenhouse yet (well i do but its still in pieces) so nothing happening there yet...

think thats it so far whats everyone else up to?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: progress report (central fife)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 10:28:02 pm »
Mid Wales so nowhere near you.
Spuds went in a month ago.. deepish and nothing up yet. Onion sets all sprouting in the field. Greenhouse planted up and eating lettuce and radish. First bud on the greenhouse courgette.
Spare peppers, aubergine, toms as reserves if anything dies in the greenhouse beds and if they can survive in their 3" pots may go into the field.
80 brassicas in the field and another 80 assorted hardening off. Broad beans hardened off and going in the field tomorrow with first leek seedlings. Rows of carrot, parsnip and peas in the field showing no sign of germinating.. but we've had some frosty nights and some of my sweetcorn seedlings got nipped and i had to bring the runner/climbing/french beans seedlings back into the glasshouse.
Flower tubs/baskets still in the greenhouse all planted up.
Also have a tray of okra needs potting on - whether that will fruit is moot.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:34:22 pm »
Just at seedling stage here - too cold to go outside yet  <brrrr>
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 01:50:04 am »
Here in southern Scotland I planted my main crop potato tubers out a couple of weeks ago and they've not appeared yet, which is just as well as plenty of frosts, and snow forecast for tomorrow night.  The odd left over tuber from last year got flicked up when I was Mantising between the rows today, and they had barely started to sprout, so clearly the soil isn't warm enough.

Broad beans, raised in pots in the tunnel, planted out a week or so ago and standing up to the weather well.  About 6" high, with plenty of buds.  I have grown Crimson Flowered and Perle.

Two raised beds, one with strawbs, beetroot, chard, spring onions, white turnip, radishes, all peeping through and surviving the weather.
The other outdoor bed has carrots and parsnips, with the rows marked by radishes - the radishes are through but not the carrots and parsnips.  There is also a row of podding peas which emerged a few days ago.

That's all that's outside so far, but there are peas raised in pots in the tunnel which are desperate to go out - will do them after the snow.

In the tunnel, the first strawb flowers are coming (and one or two bees), garlic is huge, shallots took a while to get going but are fine now, no onions, picking mizuna and Chinese mustard, some pot raised lettuce doing well, starting to swirl in the centres, winter brassicas still edible but just about flowering.

There are more peas in pots, the climbing and runner beans should have been sown today but will go in in the morning (in pots), and there are lots of trays of flowers.

In the house, there are cucumbers and peppers in the propagator, each a good 6" tall, with sweetcorn and squash/courgettes just emerging today.  On the living room windowsill are three types of tomatoes and lots more flowers.  We can get frosts until the beginning of June, so the really delicate stuff doesn't go up to the tunnel, or outside, until then.  I harden it all off by standing it all outside on warm, calm days.

So endeth my progress report  ;D :garden:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 01:53:51 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 10:06:38 am »
Bloomer - like you I don't have a greenhouse but I do have a 4 level plastic greenhouse from Aldi's (very good!) and I manage to get a lot of stuff done in them.  We only have 5 raised beds at the end of the garden (but I'd love more) so space at the moment is slightly at a premium.

My update from just over the water from you...
-the spuds are in a couple of weeks now - Anya, RDofY, Charlotte
-onion sets are growing away in the cell packs and are ready for transplanting out into the bed (perhaps todays job?)
-Leeks are to be transplanted into cell packs for some more growth until they are pencil thin plants and then they'll get planted out.
-brassicas (I buy the plants in - life and space is too short) have been potted up for about just shy of 2 weeks and will be going into the raised bed and flower bed potentially today too.
-Pea's are a disaster.  Were sown into cell packs and hardly any have come through.  The mange tout (sown in same way at the same time) are all through and could be transplanted out. 
-R.Beans are popping through in the pots and the B.Beans are the same.
-Root veg hasn't been sown yet - too cold at the moment.
-Salads will be sown today.
-Sweetcorn is coming along well.  Will be potted up into bigger pots shortly.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 05:14:57 pm »
I'm pretty close ;-)  and have nothing in beds yet but having lost all the plum blossom to frosts in the last week that is probably as well.  Loads of apple blossom so fingers crossed that survives and the berries and currants are greening up well.

Greenhouse has first leaves of cabbage, brussels and salads, leeks and onions showing, broad beans desperate to go out, first showings of toms and cucs, and plenty herbs.  There's no room for more in there but hopefully I can start beetroots and brassicas in situ soon and put runner beans in.  I have broccoli moved from tray to modules but they're not happy yet..that maybe my transplanting skills shortage!

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 05:53:14 pm »
update: sown peas came through this am. Transplanted approx 250 leeks into the field and a row B Beans. raining today so good planting weather (and Fiona came round to help). Wife harvested some rhubarb for post planting crumble!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 10:35:28 pm »
Got home after a week away to find the tomato plants on the window sills have more than doubled in size. I think it's time to get them in the greenhouse. The courgettes and squashes are doing well too. The salad crops outside are all doing well except for the land cress which hasn't germinated, coriander is through in a pot outside as are carrots. The basil I sowed indoors still hasn't appeared, nor have the peppers. Both were older seeds so I think I'll sow again with new ones.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 10:51:11 pm »
We have a raised bed which has beetroot brocolli spinich lettuce cut leaves peas and radishes coming through carrots have only just started to show

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 10:32:49 am »
well we have the following..
  • In the polytunnel beds, broad beans, french beans, salad leaves (and cos) radish which we are eating,  late sown purple sprouting which we have been picking for 3 weeks or more, strrawberries flowering and producing and early sown peas.
  • In seed trays and lids on at night, calabrese, savoy, courgettes , squash, onions (inc spring variety) and lots of flower seedlings.
  • The toms and cucumbers are potted on and are under fleece.
  • Garlic also shooting up
Outside I have cauliflowers/cabbages /sprouts and kale in beds having been sown in poly then transplanted and covered in cloches, asparagus beginning to show (year 2..) more purple sprouting, carrots sown and beginning to pop up and still parsnips in the ground!
Lots more to sow also as 6 more raised beds made over the bank holiday weekend for the outside veg garden
and spuds of course planted at same time as FW

www.thelintmill.co.uk
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:53:13 pm by lintmill »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS