Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One teat larger than another  (Read 1535 times)

VikkiB

• Joined Nov 2014
One teat larger than another
« on: May 01, 2015, 03:24:39 pm »
Our boer goat has just one kid and one teat is much larger than the other. The kid seems to have stopped suckling for the larger one.
The larger one does not feel warm or hard to touch or have any lumps and she doesn't particularly object to it being touched, which from my experience of sheep and cows I think rules out mastitis. She and the kid and totally well and nothing else wrong, so do I need to worry? The kid is pretty old now, (born at the end of Jan)

Do I need to do anything?

Thanks

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: One teat larger than another
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 03:52:43 pm »
So the kid is three months old? I think she is starting to dry up. I would keep an eye on that side, and if that side of the udder gets too full (even if not hard or hot) I would ease it out a bit (and check the milk is not stringy/clotty or otherwise not quite right).

VikkiB

• Joined Nov 2014
Re: One teat larger than another
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 04:38:49 pm »
Thanks, it has been like it now for at least a week and is not getting worse or better, I will just keep an eye on it, might try an milk a bit tonight, but don't want to stimulate things. Never known the teats to get larger when drying up before!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS