Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: another sick hen, Help!  (Read 4441 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
another sick hen, Help!
« on: April 30, 2015, 05:56:20 pm »
I'll list the symptoms, this time I had more chances to observe as I've been alert since last time....first chicken ill was about 2 weeks ago, maybe a bit longer. Both are the oldest of my girls.

I can't find a symptom chart that matches her problems!

I noticed last night that she was in the coop early, during the day she's been keeping a bit more solitary.
Her bottom has been white and sticky for a few days.
Her breathing is not normal, she has her beak open a lot and seems to labour a bit.
Her comb appears a tiny shade more purple.
She is eating but slowly.

cans

• Joined May 2013
Re: another sick hen, Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 06:51:14 pm »
purple comb.......... heart?
Don't know about the white, sticky bottom though
The fact that she is older as well

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 07:42:26 pm »
I wonder if there is anything infectious matching those symptoms, starting with the oldest (weakest immunity?) birds?

Rare Breeds at Palacerigg

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Cumbernauld
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 03:32:05 pm »
didn't see your earlier post but have you considered coccidiosis? It can also happen to older birds.

I always rely on VicVet website:
http://vicvet.com/health-common.php#mycoplasma

There's also a handy disease chart you can download and keep.

Hope they recover OK.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 04:21:29 pm »
How old?  Purple comb and laboured breathing suggest the heart is having difficulty in pumping oxygenated blood around the body and this could compromise her immune system and lead to other problems.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 08:54:28 pm »
I think I found it - gapeworm is the most likely. Apparently it's rare here unless there are pheasants around. We've had a pheasant visiting each morning since the winter for his breakfast...

Worming was due anyway so I hope it will be in time for the poor old girl! She's about 6 so getting on a bit...

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 08:37:01 am »
I had one until yesterday with similar symptoms, they were all wormed last month so didn't think that it could be gape worm.
She actually died in front of me and it very much looked like a heart attack, she was about 5 years old.
Anne

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 08:09:10 pm »
That's so sad, Daisy's Mum. Here it would be the second girl to go with the same symptoms if she dies.

It must affect circulation if they can't breathe properly. According to the net incubation period is 18 - 20 days, you've been pretty unlucky so shortly after worming. fingers crossed my home-brewed diagnosis is right, wormer going out tomorrow morning...

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 11:28:07 am »
Interesting, I had a cockerel last year with the same symptoms, I despatched him as he was labouring awfully but no other birds affected, there are pheasants about though.........

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 07:37:35 pm »
sorry, late to this. I lost three to gapeworm last year and had another three showing symptoms that recovered, two of the three that died, died after treatment. I had wormed a month previously. Its not just pheasants, young starlings and crows can carry it too. My favourite hen nearly died and her chest is somewhat compromised now-gets a bit rattly from time to time. I had one pm'd and all I had to hand was ivermectin. It did seem to do the trick although I wormed with flubenvet asap. horrible blinking things, nasty way to die.

piglady

• Joined May 2015
  • Kirkbride, Wigton, Cumbria
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 01:57:15 pm »
It would be worth giving your vet a ring for advice, or even taking your hen to see the vet.  You don't want whatever it is to affect your whole flock.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 01:26:26 pm »
Flubenvet did not make a difference to said hen but at least all are now wormed...

She seems just fine each morning but her bum is still sticky white and she sometimes gasps, especially if she tries to run or walk fast for the feed call. None of the others show anything.

I now also have a sick duck which needs to be seen to first. Unrelated symptoms....

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 09:57:12 pm »
I just thought I'd update on her condition as it might be of interest! I gave my whole lot a full course of wormer and at first I reckoned that my suspicion had been wrong but after a few weeks she did get better. Now she's back in full form with normal coloured comb and no more gasping for breath.  :relief:  Gapeworm.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 11:06:46 pm »
How's the duck?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS