Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First Kidding. Yay! They're here!  (Read 6794 times)

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
First Kidding. Yay! They're here!
« on: April 28, 2015, 05:24:00 pm »
Well we are due to have out first kidding some time next week and I am getting increasingly excited and anxious. She is a first time kidder too but seems a lot more chilled out about it all at the moment than I am!

The barn is mucked out and clean straw down, a clean pen separate for when she's ready. The lambing box has been relabelled. The books have been read and reread! Feel like I know less each time rather than more! Vet and experience shepherd friend on standby (well they don't know that but numbers close to hand ;) ).

Any helpful hints for how to get through kidding with the minimum stress and more importantly how to cope with the waiting!!!?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:45:09 pm by Beeducked »

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
Re: First Kidding.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 09:18:50 pm »
Our experience is that if you go out shopping and stay out an extra half hour then that's when it happens !  :D
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 02:50:22 am »
Any helpful hints for how to get through kidding with the minimum stress and more importantly how to cope with the waiting!!!?
Yes - stop reading the books  ;D . I know, I read them as well, but it does get scary reading all the things that can go wrong, they seem to know better than us what to do, I prefer to stay away now, often been on the point of calling for help, gone back in and she's popped them out. ;D
I'd better not be too confident, one should have kidded Monday and I'm still waiting.
BTW don't believe the tale they go off their food when nearly ready, one of mine ate her breakfast, went and laid down - half hour later 3 babies. Obviously not room for both breakfast and babies so something had to give. LOL
Try putting a good DVD on to watch, or dig the garden :-)

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 05:30:31 am »
Hi Beeducked nothing beats your first kidding , like you  this was my first year so far 7 does have kidded.
I read lots of books watched DVDS  ect and like you say you get  anxious but thats to be expected.
Most books dvds told you the normal signs of labour nearing well so far none of my does have shown any real signs until about a hour before at the earliest so it proves the point each doe is a individual.
If you have any questions before or after the birth pop on here the posters are great and very helpful and you will get sound advice.

Like the above posters say the odds are in favor of a problem ,trouble free birth but like you i was keen to be present its a new experience, but its easy to overdo the over seeing thing.
Tell you what i did set up a CCTV camera they are quite cheap now then you can keep a eye on things without being too intrusive you then have option to record it .
Keep us posted how things are going
good luck

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 10:02:35 am »
Thanks all. :thumbsup:  It's the waiting that i'm finding difficult. In a slightly difficult position as I have to work this weekend so really want her to wait for her due date next Tues when I'm off for 2 weeks. Others around the days I can't be with her but would really like to be around when she kids.

I know what you mean about the early warning signs of labour. I don't think any of my sheep showed any of them! They just got on with it and then there was lambs. ;D  She is a bit of a fusspot so I'm hoping she will let me know but who knows! Just keeping my fingers crossed for healthy animals at the end of it all and trying to stay away from the book! :excited:

She still looks very settled at the moment and her udder, although pretty big, is not full or tight and the ligaments by her tail that people keep talking about don't seem any softer so keeping my fingers crossed that she keeps her legs crossed another 4 days. :fc:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 10:04:56 am by Beeducked »

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 11:16:45 am »
 :excited: :excited:
i love kidding time!!...we're not kidding til August this year, wanted to get lambing well out of the way first, tried doing both at once last year!
I use the tendons as a good indicator but they all have their own different ways of letting you know its time.
keep us posted and pics if possible  :thumbsup:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: First Kidding. Yay! They're here!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 09:47:06 pm »
Well at lunchtime today my lovely girl Huelwen, produced 2 beautiful kids. Sadly both boys as I would have loved spotty girls, but they are both stunning. :excited:

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 11:10:50 pm »
Beautiful  kids , well done Huelwen   :thumbsup:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 06:49:38 am »
Sweet kids :love: By the way, why have we gone all American and calling goats bucks and does? In my day (need an old Granny emotothingy here) they were called billies and nannies :goat:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 07:03:27 am »
Lovely 2 gorgeous billy kids! :love: :goat:
Anne

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 01:53:10 pm »
  :love: :love: :love: :love:

just had some our girls scanned yesteday so we are expecting 2 x twins + 2 x singles and one that was too hairy for the scan to show up so has to have a brazilian in 2 weeks time for a re-scan  :-\
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 07:34:40 pm »
Thanks all.

I'm completely smitten with them and am getting over the disappointment that they are both boys. :eyelashes:  I had decided before they were born that if there was a male I would probably keep him as a wether as would love a pack goat and certainly these boys are gorgeous. Had been toying with the idea of keeping one intact to use on my other unrelated girls. Even better my neighbour has fallen in love with one of them and really wants to buy him to service her girls so would be able to do the same!  :excited:  Know any further boys are very likely to end up in the freezer but so happy I have homes for the first of my kids.

Good luck for all those still kidding.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 11:02:50 pm »
I'm looking forward to meeting them on Tuesday.  :excited: :excited:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 06:14:30 am »
Beeducked, I kept a wether goat and trained him to pull a little cart. I fashioned a harness out of  an old sheepskin coat and a friend made the lightweight cart. We all had enormous fun, especially at school and village events.
(this was 36 years ago so rules and regs will probably restrict you now. :goat:)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 11:17:35 pm »
I met Arthur and Max today and they are seriously cute. The temptation to sneak one out was there but I don't think I would have got away with it. I've never seen such lovely markings on a goat.

Great to catch up, Kate.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS