Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shears for dagging hairy herdwicks  (Read 2269 times)

sophie

• Joined May 2013
Shears for dagging hairy herdwicks
« on: April 27, 2015, 07:53:12 am »
We have 23 herdwicks ewes and they have tails. We would like to reduce fly attack so were thinking about clipping their back ends before we moved them up onto the top field with their lambs after they are all born in a few weeks.
What is the best way to do this. Ideally it would be best to be cordless but it needs to work at the same time. Ease is more important than cost, as if its a pain to do its just going to take us longer.
Many thanks

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Shears for dagging hairy herdwicks
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 08:10:11 am »
Have you tried jakoti hand shears they're far better iMHO than trad ones, sharp, good leverage, long shank, make short work of a backend

sophie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 11:38:58 am »
Thanks Hellybee,

They look good and I have just ordered some. Much more reasonable than some electric ones. May still be interested though in any electric recommendations as they are very hairy sheep!

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 09:19:01 pm »
Bought myself a pair of Jakoti shears Saturday and they are far better to use than my old traditional type shears and I prefer them to my 12v electric clippers.

The electric clippers are laser/Lister type with the cutter and comb and connect to a battery and are pretty good if you get yourself a good pen and race set up.
The Jakoti shears will cut through big clumps of dirty wool but be careful they are really sharp!
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 02:37:30 pm »
Call me odd (many have) but I find trimming sheep bums very therapeutic.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 04:13:29 pm »
You know where we are if you need further therapy Hellybee! Lister Laser 240 v very good with George Mudge head yolk to hold them still

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS