Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Button tags ripped out of lamb ears - at wits end  (Read 6794 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
Button tags ripped out of lamb ears - at wits end
« on: April 26, 2015, 08:37:13 pm »
Hi there,

I have a small flock of shetlands and Shetland cross GFD. our lambs are 4-6 weeks old and we tagged them yesterday. We used the button tags as thought they would be better than the ones which loop round as we had a few ripped out last year.

We went up this morning to find half the lambs with no tags and ripped ears.

Has anyone had any experience with this happening with lambs? When should we tag them and are there any tags that are less likely to rip out? It is horrible to see them with tattered ears at such a young age. We put them in properly and the ones that still have tags look fine.

Any advice welcome

P

BALLOCH

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Button tags ripped out of lamb ears - at wits end
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 10:14:02 pm »
tags are a night mare time they sorted something better,dont think you have to tag if staying on your own holding till 6 months.Lambs tend to rip them out on fences especially putting heads threw the wire.Apparently microchipping in the neck like dogs wont work as the fat is different and they can move around.Yon can get boluses but still have to tag 1 ear.Hopefully someone will come up with a better solution soon.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 11:55:25 pm »
We used to use button tags years ago and I hated them.  We now use Bubblegum soft tags, with the loop to the top of the ear.  We don't put the tags in until the lambs are 4 months old.  At birth we use tiny metal temporary tags which are rarely lost, and don't tend to tear the ear (we have Hebrideans, Shetlands and we did use these on Soay too, so very small tender ears).
For the damage you have now, use superglue to repair the ears before they heal - we haven't had to try this here, but others say it does work.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 06:30:46 am »
I have used Shearwell set tags at birth on 1400 lambs every year for at least the last 8 years

Losses are minimal.....maybe a handful a year at very most.

It must also help reduce losses by ensuring the animals have plenty of grass ahead of them so that they don't put their heads through the fence too often?

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 07:31:12 am »
I used button tags last year. Absolutely horrendous Fearings convinced me they were the best thing. I have got bubblegum tags this year and will cut the loop one they are in

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 08:12:46 am »
We don't tag the little ones, we wait

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 08:50:21 am »
Had same problem here with button tags .... and fearings said on phone they have had no complaints .... so get on and complain!!!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 09:55:59 am »
Thank you so much for your advice. Will look out for the bubblegum soft tags and wait a couple of months before trying again. Trouble with Shetlands is they always seem to want the hedge or trees the other side of the fence no matter what grass, hay, tubbies or creep are in the field x

steve_pr

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire Borders
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 12:55:55 pm »
I have to agree with everything said here.  We have GFDs and Ryelands and tagged with button tags in our first year because they were recommended and they looked less likely to pull out. DISASTER!

They are too big and too heavy for the lambs ears, and they get well and truly caught when they (lambs or ewes) put their heads through standard stock fence. End result - lost tags and torn ears. On top of that, the pointy bit is HUGE and square - it is hardly surprising that the poor things flinch when they are tagged - I wouldn't like it!

Last year we went over the Bubblegum tags from Allflex - cannot recommend them enough.  They are small, lightweight, easier to read (stick with light colours and the red replacement tags are even easier to read than the buttons).  The pointy end os small and round, and the lambs hardly notice when they are tagged. So far (over two years now) losses have been minimal - I think we have lost one tag (from 100+ or so tagged animals).

On a slightly different point we tend to tag with the loop over the top/front of the ear (makes them a lot easier to read!). Others seem to tag with the loop over the bottom/back of the ear.  Don't know if there is a difference in how secure they stay and I guess with an EID reader to hand it doesn't make a great deal of difference.

Bottom line - steer clear of button and go with Bubblegum - your sheep (and your wallet) will thank you for it
(and NO, I have no relationship with Allflex other than being a satisfied customer. So satisfied actually that we splashed out and bought their EID stick reader and the iPad management application - another great product if you have a slightly larger flock to keep track of.

Steve

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS