Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lovely day yesterday  (Read 3069 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Lovely day yesterday
« on: April 26, 2015, 10:44:12 am »
Went to Wonderwool, spent loads and met up with Lesley (Mad goatwoman of Madeley) Lisa (Mrs Pea) and her daughter and Louise Gaunt and her daughter. We had a good natter and then went back to spending  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Lovely day yesterday
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 11:37:30 am »
Oh lucky you, all of you.  I'm envious  :wave:

My nearest wool thing is WoolFest, which has become so huge that I can't take the crowds and the noise and the shoving any more.

:knit:  :hugsheep:  :spin:  :knit:  :spin:  :hugsheep:  :knit:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 11:39:13 am »
Show us your stash then!   :excited:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 12:33:00 pm »
I don't have pics but can tell you what I bought.
Firstly I was lucky enough to have £100 of the spinning clubs money to buy some prepared tops and 'something else'. This is for our christmas challenge. We all get 100g of tops and a bit of the 'something else' to spin/weave/felt etc. With the money I bought 1500g of Falkland Polwarth tops as I thought this wouldn't be something they usually work with. Its lovely and soft and apparently felts well too. Thats important as not everyone in the groups spins. The 'something else' I bought was some hand dyed silk cocoons. I think that will really be a challenge for everyone and I am not sure they will be too pleased with it  ;D .
For myself I bought some dyed cotton scrim to use as the base for nuno felting and then bought 3 cones of Jaeger spun heather 100% wool for weaving. Lastly I bought just one ball of baby alpaca with silk to make some baby socks for a friend who is expecting.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 01:36:35 pm »
Amy and I had an great day too. It was lovely meeting up with everyone for a natter and put faces to names! I spent far too much, buying a merino/ Lincoln long wool fleece, lots of stuff for spinni and some wool for knitting. I shall need to get busy to put some things into Knotsonsticks to cover my extravagance!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 04:57:54 pm »
And I had a very hard day shoveling muck onto the new potato patch and keeping an eye on my last ewe who duly lambed at 6.30pm when I went in for my dinner and a twin at 7.45 when I went back in after all the evening jobs to do the washing up and clear up indoors. ::)

Glad you had a good time.  I'm not jealous at all as you can probably tell.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 05:00:49 pm »
And I had a very hard day shoveling muck onto the new potato patch and keeping an eye on my last ewe who duly lambed at 6.30pm when I went in for my dinner and a twin at 7.45 when I went back in after all the evening jobs to do the washing up and clear up indoors. ::)

Glad you had a good time.  I'm not jealous at all as you can probably tell.
but you did get twin lambs  :sheep: :sheep:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 08:14:12 pm »
I did and they are really lovely, one white, one grey katmoget, both girls. ;D

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 08:25:43 pm »
MGM  is staying with us atm  ... I have had a tour of her purchases .... lovely (I'll let her tell you!).    Would love to have gone but been a very busy week and my car has sprung a water leak  :(    (a long way in the landy!)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 12:31:07 am »
I did make some lovely buys. First (and most important) I bought 500kg of a rather yummy white merino and mulberry silk fibre for making a shawl for a very important baby who is due to be born mid-September. I also have lots of coloured tops for felting and have, on order, a lace or fast flyer for my Sonata so I can spin the merino/silk.

While we were away having a wonderful time with Back in Wellies and Mr Wellies, I also joined with Bionic Sally's spinning group for the afternoon and had a very enjoyable time, nattering and spinning and seeing what other people were making. One of them was using a peg loom. Last time I was at Wonderwool (two years ago) I bought a peg loom but have been rather nervous about giving it a go. I am now bubbling with enthusiasm and will be digging it out from under all the fleeces in my craft room.

I came back with another fleece from Linda's lovely Llanwenogs (do you like the alliteration there?) as I have spun almost all the last fleece from her to knit myself a very thick jumper. I used at least half on the back so need more to add. It's lovely stuff to spin.

Thanks to Louise Gaunt for pointing out my typo. I actually bought 500 grams not kg.  :roflanim:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:14:39 am by Mad Goatwoman of Madeley »

Mrs Pea

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 06:21:21 pm »
I am very very late responding and apologise, no excuses just been really busy.  Did want to add that Lorna and I had a really good day at Wonderwool too and also bought lots of goodies.

It was lovely seeing Sally and Lesley again and great to meet Louise and Amy, always nice to have a face to the name :)

Lisa

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS