Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 11 lambs from 5 ewes, prolific dorpers  (Read 8243 times)

Davinci

• Joined Sep 2014
11 lambs from 5 ewes, prolific dorpers
« on: April 25, 2015, 11:49:11 pm »
Hi, well finished lambing ( easy with just 5 !).   Twins, twins, twins, triplets and twins.
Easy lambing...even first timers due to physical attributes , no assistance required. Lambs very quick to get up, sucking in around 5 mins. Ewes are great mothers. 4 male 7 female lambs! ...lady luck I guess, but means will need to sell a few females. Great interest in male lambs as a good meat cross...so they are all going to be accounted for. Ewe with tripplets rearing them very well (you would not pick them out from rest) ... She actually looks as though she could give birth again.....they are amazing browsers....kind of goat and sheep combined! 

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
Re: 11 lambs from 5 ewes, prolific dorpers
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 07:16:25 am »
I too had an amazing season, 30 live born lambs from 13 ewes (gutted to lose three and still not quite sure why). I have lost one since, despite all my efforts. I have got some Lleyn/Lleyn crosses but all my Wiltshire/Welsh produced twins and triplets, too.

I number my triplets on their sides so I can really check who is feeding and top up if necessary. It can take several days for it to be clear that one is missing out especially if the ewe has good mothering instincts.

Good luck.

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 01:16:38 pm »
I have had a similar outcome with my Poll Dorsets and odd Lleyn. Still waiting for one to lamb but currently 3 ewes 8 lambs and the ewes look like they are still in lamb! Nice and easy when there are so few to lamb!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 06:47:50 pm »
Good numbers are always pleasing but around here the peak lactation time (3-6 weeks in our breeds) needs to coincide with good grass growth or you have to continue feeding to keep the ewes in good enough condition through the summer and into another tupping.  Always a balancing act due to the cost of feed.  Grass growth has slowed due to the lack of rainfall in recent weeks.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 08:27:59 pm »
Good numbers are always pleasing but around here the peak lactation time (3-6 weeks in our breeds) needs to coincide with good grass growth or you have to continue feeding to keep the ewes in good enough condition through the summer and into another tupping.  Always a balancing act due to the cost of feed.  Grass growth has slowed due to the lack of rainfall in recent weeks.

A problem I may be facing here too!   Early weaning me thinks!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 08:22:18 am »
A problem I may be facing here too!   Early weaning me thinks!

Yes, and for me (North Pembs) as yet another rain forecast looks set to not materialise today.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 11:27:09 am »
Deep snow 1 week left
Done 800 ewes dawn south just over 1300 lambs and now my 230 ewes .Always go dawn south easter to start
Been very cold this week end

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 12:07:22 pm »

Early weaning me thinks!
[/quote]

Read somehere the other day that a study showed weaning after 90 days showed little benefit to the lambs overall and, of course, none to the ewe.  I usually wean at 16 weeks but might knock three off that this year.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 03:35:24 pm »
Yes just over 12 weeks seems to be recommended and my ewes will need the extra weeks this year!    week booked on calendar!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Davinci

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 07:51:28 am »
Good point, I am lucky that I have a small number and they are such determined browsers.

Davinci

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 07:52:51 am »
I too had an amazing season, 30 live born lambs from 13 ewes (gutted to lose three and still not quite sure why). I have lost one since, despite all my efforts. I have got some Lleyn/Lleyn crosses but all my Wiltshire/Welsh produced twins and triplets, too.

I number my triplets on their sides so I can really check who is feeding and top up if necessary. It can take several days for it to be clear that one is missing out especially if the ewe has good mothering instincts.

Good luck.

Wiltshire x welsh...that is interesting ...any pictures ?

Davinci

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 07:54:26 am »
I have had a similar outcome with my Poll Dorsets and odd Lleyn. Still waiting for one to lamb but currently 3 ewes 8 lambs and the ewes look like they are still in lamb! Nice and easy when there are so few to lamb!

I seem to be seeing a growth in poll dorsets around, I know for several selling lambs in south/ west Wales.

Davinci

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 07:57:13 am »
Deep snow 1 week left
Done 800 ewes dawn south just over 1300 lambs and now my 230 ewes .Always go dawn south easter to start
Been very cold this week end

Deep snow? ....where are you living?, regards.

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 09:43:48 am »

These just look like Wiltshires (they are more Wilt than Welsh) with slightly more fleece, which they mostly lose. The shearer doesn't charge for any he has to finish off.  Absolutely brilliant mothers. My best can be seen going round the field "telling off" any ewe who doesn't meet her standards! Once there was a real flash storm here and I was worried enough to go out to check none of the ewes had been caught out somewhere exposed. All the sheep were in the middle of the field grazing apart from her who had all the lambs tucked up under a hedge!

The Lleyn lambs just look like good big Welshies. The only real problem is that they can look a bit too leggy when it comes to selling as stores but we had top 3 price just before Easter (only thing we had been trying for fat!!! - just not the Winter for it.)

I will have a few ewe hoggets for sale later on.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 10:18:43 am by GrannyAching »

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 11:15:29 am »

[/quote]

That is where/how the Easycare was developed----wilts x Welsh

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS