Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 5 week old lamb left side swollen  (Read 2541 times)

chonty

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Herefordshire
5 week old lamb left side swollen
« on: April 25, 2015, 12:43:35 pm »
Hi all

Strange one this. 5 week old lamb with a huge amount of fluid collecting under the skin on the left side flank and legs. No previous problems. Sudden onset. Increased in size dramatically over last 48 hours. Lamb bright. Suckling and passing faeces/ urine with no problems.

I examined it yesterday. Is definitely not a hernia as can feel the abdominal wall is intact beyond the fluid collection. Aspirated some fluid. Just looks like serous fluid. No pus. No obvious signs of blood.

Took to vet as I was stumped and curious. They did not have a clue either. They advised i drain as much of the fluid as possible and apply pressure dressing. This is what i have done plus I have given the little tyke prophylactic penicillin as I want to avoid any secondary infection from draining the fluid (used large bore hypo).

Thoughts on cause from those more experienced?

Obviously I will monitor the situation with the lamb. It is not in any obvious discomfort at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: 5 week old lamb left side swollen
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 02:59:43 pm »
I haven't come across this one either.  I don't think iI'd be too hopeful about a good outcome, though.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 10:58:05 pm »
have you vaccinated or injected at the site?

chonty

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 03:01:42 pm »
No vaccinations or anything done to lamb at all.

Really strange.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 11:47:27 pm »
Guess its just trauma then, probably thought it could fly & crash landed, or tried poaching from a grumpy ewe & got told in no uncertain terms. You may feel some broken ribs once the swelling resolves. \just treated a near fat cattle beast the same, taken several months for swelling to gradually drain down to low areas, lots of fractured ribs, but healed fine & went to slaughter 2 wk ago

chonty

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 11:57:55 pm »
Thanks farmvet.

Drained fluid again. Less this time, and reapplied pressure dressing. Lamb still very bright.

It's going to be a wait and see game this I think.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS