Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jeep Question  (Read 1323 times)

walshie

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Ceredigion
Jeep Question
« on: April 25, 2015, 09:29:54 am »
My son has a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD and it has gone into limp mode (only engages 2nd and reverse). This happened once before when we lived in "civilisation" and it was a case of driving it a mile to a garage and he plugged something in to the diagnostics and a few minutes later it was good to go - all for a few quid.

Now we live on the Carmarthenshire/Ceredigion border and my lad has called quite a few mobile mechanics and every one of them has said they "We don't come out there."

Other than driving it at 5mph for 20 miles, does anyone know of anyone reliable who we could try please?

Thanks

Goatherd

• Joined Dec 2014
Re: Jeep Question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 04:16:41 pm »
 The problem is sometimes the gear pcb (printed cir board) that tells the system where the rods are from the trans
  then when fault comes up it goes into limp mode So if you did fix it at home there is a chance it will need to be plugged into a garage computor to release fault codes and out of limp mode Sorry but you may have to take it to a garage with a computer or ask any one coming out first

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:36:24 pm »
My pick up does this when the fuel filter needs changing......only happens after we've drummed diesel in.

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 07:48:04 am »
I had one of those, same year too.
There are several Jeep forums he could search to get ideas as to the problem. Mine did this same thing and I replaced the throttle position sensor and it was fine after that. There are many Odd Things Jeep electronics do (worth checking Merc forums too as the engine/electrics are all from Merc sprinter/Merc ML). Initially i thought it would be the main Engine management thingy but, as I say, throttle position sensor.

In the end I sold it (high miles) and bought a jeep grand cherokee 4.0 petrol, low miles and I only do about 3k a year. nice comfy cars with 3.5t towing ability.

Good luck
Rgds
Sskye

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS