Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming lambs?  (Read 6408 times)

sophie

• Joined May 2013
Worming lambs?
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:25:47 am »
I am half way through lambing some Herdwick cross Charolais. One of the lambs born almost two weeks ago is growing, eating and drinking, but is very lethargic. It is not playing like lambs which are younger than it and is often just asleep away from everything. Should I worm it? I have given it some shots of energy recently but still not like the others. I think it can see.
Many thanks
Sophie

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Worming lambs?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:43:09 am »
Not at 2 weeks.  Have you checked it's temperature?  And check it all over for any wounds or anything that might be causing it pain.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 10:24:11 am »
What is the mum like, we got one or two with really strict mums and they aren't allowed to hang out with the other lambs til they say so.  Sounds silly I know but they're the stompy ones, really fierce mums.  Or check his or her limbs for heat and swelling and the navel too.  Perhaps the lamb is gorging him/herself.  Hope lambie will be ok

sophie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 10:49:39 am »
She seems fine physically, but is easy to catch etc. as seems tired. The mum is normal really, its not that she is stopping her playing, the lamb doesn't appear to have the energy to. It could just be normal for her. Its a single so no twin to compare with, but normal size in comparison to the other singles. Will just keep an eye but didn't want it to die if there was something we should have given it.
Thanks for the help.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 11:01:44 am »
I would still take her temperature, just to be sure!  And check the mother's udder if you can, make sure she has plenty of milk and that there is no mastitus or orf or anything like that.

sophie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 06:37:09 am »
Checked the temp and it was fine. The mother has milk and all seems fine apart from it is often on its own. Last night it was with the other lambs, not quite as lively as them, but then again this morning, it was lying on its own away from its mum and is easy to catch. This was our second lamb and we struggling to catch those much younger. What's the earliest I can worm it?
Many thanks

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 08:11:57 am »
There a product called lamb kick start made by nettex collate, full of fits n mins suitable for newborns and older lambs, may give her a little boost x

sophie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 09:18:29 am »
Think that's the one we have got. Reminds me of Bovril! I gave her 3 pumps three times. But no huge change. Just a bit worried that the magpies could peck her, but we have not got lots. Thanks for the suggestion. I just feel annoyed that she's not improving, but sheep are sheep!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 09:36:43 am »
Sometimes I think it is easy to talk yourself into thinking their is something wrong because an animal isn't acting as you expect but actually it's just way it is.

My first lambs were triplets, three tups, suffolks born in December and lambed inside and access to outside. You would think they would have been running about once they got but no. They hardly ever ran or skipped like lambs. Just ate, slept and chilled. My next, a single gimmer was a live wire from day one.

You have given the lamb a thorough examination and found nothing so I wouldn't worry, just keep an eye.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 09:38:35 am »
At under two weeks it wont be worms so best give up on that idea, either find another cause or find something else to worry about!  :knit:

sophie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 09:49:45 am »
Thanks for the advice. I'm just checking that what is wrong could be prevented! All others are well

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS