Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: vaccines  (Read 6245 times)

Jode

• Joined Aug 2012
vaccines
« on: April 23, 2015, 09:58:39 pm »
Bought 9 ewes that were unvaccinated so gave heptavac p double dose with second 4 weeks prior to lambing.

Planning to give lambs first dose at three weeks but have read on here that as it's a live vaccine it can't be reused. So does that mean that the second booster dose we gave the ewes didn't work??

We use covexin 8 for our alpacas and have always reused it (always kept i n fridge and single needle used to draw up)

What about lambivac?? I know they don't cover pasteurella but can't keep buying heptavac at £37 per bottle

Also have some goats to do. Lambivac is the drug choice for them apparently

Can't share with any local smallholders as don't know any!!!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: vaccines
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:16:51 pm »
You have most likely seen the threads on here re Heptavac and yes, as it says on the sheet with the bottle you need to use it within ten hours of opening.

Have you asked your vet if they know any others you could share with?

What size a bottle are you getting?

Where are you - someone on here maybe able to share with you.

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 06:08:51 am »
The smallest bottle of Heptavac is around £23 inc VAT.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 12:49:08 pm »
 IT is a dead vaccine  NOT LIVE as is lambivac and covexin 8 ..      lambivac Is just a smaller form of hep p and so says don't use after 10 hrs just the same and  covexin  8 says don't use after 8 hrs !!   . Many discussions and at the finish it is an individuals choice to throw away or keep using .

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 01:19:15 pm »
Why not use crovexin for the sheep?

Jode

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 08:34:42 pm »
Covexin doesn't protect for pasturella??? Have always reused it. Didn't realise same applied to covexin as heptavac. So confusing!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 09:55:29 pm »
Just bought 50 ml bottle of Heptavac P for £22.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 07:01:12 am »
There are many of us who successfully use a single needle to draw up the vaccine, immediately return bottle - sealed with tape - to the fridge, and have been doing so for years.

Remember that the advice to use and throw away comes from the manufacturer, who obviously wants you to buy as many bottles as they can get away with.... also if the vaccine is used in the field and then stored on the Farmers 4 x 4 dashboard it will obviously go off...

You can also get the injection guns, where the bottle stays connected to the gun and can be stores like that, just needs a needle change for the next time.

I do Heptavac for the sheep and Lambivac and Ovipast for the goats, but I have higher numbers than you.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 08:09:23 am »
There is plenty about whether or not you should use vaccines after the time on the bottle on here. Also plenty from people more in the know about these things than those deciding they know better just because they do it their way and haven't had a problem.

You can only read the threads then decide for yourself but I would have thought drug manufacturers are regulated strictly enough that they couldn't get away with saying something that isn't correct. Either about what's in the bottle, what it does and how it should be used.

They would have to be able to defend themselves if challenged and I should think they could.

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 09:59:01 am »
I've only just vaccinated for the first time, my vet said use same bottle if kept in fridge

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 11:51:58 am »
And my vet says always use Heptavac within the specified time. 

So you pay your money and take your choice. :fc:

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS