Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Purchasing First Land  (Read 2450 times)

LBUK

• Joined Apr 2015
Purchasing First Land
« on: April 23, 2015, 09:31:30 pm »
Hello,

I have always wanted to be self-sufficient and encourage wildlife but was a little naive when I bought my house and no one was interested in selling their land.

Now I'm 5 years on and finally some has come up within a couple minutes walk.

One parcel is a 1 acre triangular plot with very tall holly hedges on one side and mixed hedge on another. The third/fourth side is mostly just walled. It is on a bit of a slope but not too steep. It is dense with lush green grass atm and the odd weed in places. I think I've seen a badger den.

The other parcel is 4 acres and is very exposed with post and wire fences. I'd say about a third is on a bit of a slope and covered in lush grass and the other two thirds are quite severe in places and quite barren. There are a number of rabbit warrens. Also there are two rights of way that form a T shape across the plot.

Both plots have road access and are pretty much across the road from each other, except for the access being on the far end of the 4 acre field.

I'm keen to buy the 0.8 acre outright and see how the 4 acre does at auction but that's not really the problem.

I'm suddenly feeling like I have no idea what to do with the land if I do buy it! Where do I start?!

I don't know anything about land management.

I mean, I'd know to check the fence and fix it but what about the actual soil and plants?

What do I actually need to do to achieve my goals and will I even be allowed to do it?!

Is it possible?

The land seems to be used just to graze calves in rotation so can I buy it and start putting meadow seed down and planting fruits and veg and composting?

I'm feeling overwhelmed and I'm going to buy the land and it's going to deteriorate into a wasteland overnight and I'm going to be resented by the locals who would have loved the opportunity to turn their horses out onto it.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Purchasing First Land
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 10:03:06 am »
hmmmm...

I bought my place 'cos I liked it.. the views, size etc and equally didn't have any real 'plan'.

Remember the following facts... the land will be there long after you're gone. it's been everything from volcanic sludge to an iceberg and a paleolithic forest. So what harm can you actually do.. unless you dig a mine?

Can you afford the loss? In other words..buying it with a need for it to repay you would create all sorts of concerns. Buying it with a wish to 'play' and no financial requirement.. well what's to lose? You can always sell it even if it makes a bit of a loss and have an experience to recount.

In my case there's no need to amke money off the land.. just as well 'cos maintaining it has cost me plenty (but then I have  lot more land than you contemplate so tractors, implements etc all add to the cost)

For your small plot.. well these days i'd consider 0.8acre just a larger garden  :roflanim: - somewhere to grow a few spuds and beans. My bigger concern would be how much traffic the rights of way get on the larger plot - specially if you plan on any stock on it and can't see it from your house.

Buy it;; it'll probably grow in value anyway..

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 07:03:17 pm »
I bought an acre last year i just love going there pottering around, I have made a start on clearing the rushes, planted an orchard, planted a hedge around it. Its great.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 08:32:27 am »
I would be wary of buying land with a public right of way, especially if you're thinking of keeping livestock. Not every dog owner is responsible!! Unless, of course you can fence securely along the footpaths and be fierce enough to keep dog walkers on the footpath :o
I bought my land about seven years ago and recently sold a little bit of it for almost as much as I paid for the whole so, land is always a good investment as well as a joy!!

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 11:44:41 pm »
Have you read John Seymour's "Guide to self-sufficiency"?  It may be very useful to you and is something of a smallholders bible.

Good luck and enjoy!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS