Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bottle fed lamb  (Read 4839 times)

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
Bottle fed lamb
« on: April 23, 2015, 02:27:45 pm »
Hi, can anyone advise how much milk a 11 day old lamb should be having, he seems strong and healthy and now comes running for his bottle, I've been giving 6 feeds a day ( nothing at night as I work night shifts but this hasn't been a problem thus far. His intake has been gradually increasing and we are are at 200ml per feed, he would take more than that now but want to over do it.

Thanks

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
Re: Bottle fed lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 02:43:09 pm »
Best to follow the manufacturers guidelines but normally they will say ad lib after 7 days old.

Which means you can use your ingenuity to rig up some way of holding the bottle, just keep it topped up and everyone's a winner. 

Top tip...the black metal frame from a small household fire extinguisher is just the right size to hold a normal lamb bottle!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 03:37:30 pm »
I was fostering 4 orphan lambs and OH made me a rack to put the bottles in. It made life much easier.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 04:57:16 pm »
That's nifty Bionic  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:55:41 pm »
Does the lamb also have access to grass and/or hay?  It will start to nibble at either around now.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 12:13:19 pm »
It should have access to creep by now, but not necessarily hay (they need to start off on creep as it's higher in nutritional value than hay, and they get full easily so need to fill themselves up with creep at that age). The bag of milk powder should have it all on. By 11 days our lambs if they are on a bottle will be on 5 maybe 4 feeds per day totalling 1litre of milk. If on a feeder they are ad lib.

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 07:29:33 am »
As others have said, make sure he has water and creep feed which needs refreshing at least once a day.

I've got 4 on one of the multi-feed buckets, they are really healthy lively lambs who "what to go" and have done since they were born but the ewe for three of them had zero milk for 48hr and not much after that. They are still on her as she mothers them really well (including the one that isn't hers which she just accepted).

They have been on twice a day feeding since they were three weeks old and are self limiting their intake to half a litre (average) per feed. They are eating grass and hay but not fussed with hard feed yet but I think I need to start feeding the ewe when they are not expecting the bucket.

I think you have to use your judgement a bit as to how robust you think the lamb is, you might need to feed more milk if it doesn't start taking the creep. You can offer him a bit of creep to play with in your hand to begin with.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS