Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how often should I rotate?  (Read 6027 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
how often should I rotate?
« on: April 23, 2015, 11:21:23 am »
As the title says. How often should I rotate my ewes and lambs?  Is it within a worm cycle?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: how often should I rotate?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 11:58:07 am »
I'm no expert but it will probably be easier for those that are if you let them know approx how much land they are on and how many sheep you have.
I only have a couple of acres, split into 4. My 6 girls get rotated every week.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 12:06:27 pm »
6 (or more) paddocks, moved weekly.  I think it depends more on the height of the grass though, as the nasties live at the base of the leaves, so if you don't graze too hard that would be better.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 01:36:08 pm »
I've got low stocking density so I was thinking I might get away with two weeks apart. Hopefully

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:28:10 pm »
We have quite a low density, but generally keep them on a field for three weeks - grass is still not very very short when they move.  We let a field have a break for between 3 and 5 weeks before it's grazed on again...  Having said that, from September, when we wean and then after have the ram in, some sheep will be in the same field for much longer.  Still, not yet had to worm, after regular FEC tests...

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 08:50:24 pm »
This is one of those things where science meets art meets experience.  You have to balance how long the grass is (more than three leaves and it will start to die at the bottom) with the weather with how much condition the sheep need to put on before tupping with whether you plan to cut for hay with the mix of grass types and how well they'll withstand a dry summer with .....

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:51:20 pm »
Ok, could somebody please give me a hand here?  ???

From the diagram below, if an infected sheep passes worm eggs, these hatch and grow into the infective L3 stage larvae in 4-10 days (maybe a little longer in the UK - the diagram comes from an Aussie website  :) ).

So, if "most L3 larvae die within three (summer) months to six (winter) months, with some living {and remaining infective} for over a year", surely they'll just sit in the pasture waiting until the sheep come round on their next rotation and eat them!?  ???

I totally get how rotations of 6 months or more would be really effective in worm control, but that's not possible for most smallholders.

So, if we can only rotate our pasture on a 4-8 week cycle say, does that actually help with parasite control at all?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 01:01:42 pm »
6 (or more) paddocks, moved weekly.  I think it depends more on the height of the grass though, as the nasties live at the base of the leaves, so if you don't graze too hard that would be better.
      Sorry not so , all information says that larvae climb up the grass in dew so that they can be eaten on the choice leaves (  a sheep will naturally  wander and only eat the grass tips given freedom, so the parasites had to develop a stratergy to cope or become extinct )  .           A 3mth gap between grazing can reduce worm numbers  or a rutter ring system (  1 year  cattle only   1 year sheep only    1 year crop only )    in most cases both not practicle

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 01:03:46 pm »
*sigh* we are all doomed then :)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 01:08:52 pm »
...the best course of action is to regularly rotate so that you get the most out of the grass that you have, and regularly FEC to cull out those animals that suffer from the highest worm burdens.  After a few years, in theory, you should have to worm less, if at all.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 01:11:23 pm »
      Sorry not so , all information says that larvae climb up the grass in dew so that they can be eaten on the choice leaves (  a sheep will naturally  wander and only eat the grass tips given freedom, so the parasites had to develop a stratergy to cope or become extinct )  .           A 3mth gap between grazing can reduce worm numbers  or a rutter ring system (  1 year  cattle only   1 year sheep only    1 year crop only )    in most cases both not practicle

Sad but true

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS