Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scotland calls for action in the Mediterranean  (Read 3774 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Scotland calls for action in the Mediterranean
« on: April 22, 2015, 07:40:55 pm »
The situation facing refugees in the Mediterranean is getting worse. Alyn Smith MEP, member of the European Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee, has organised a public letter from Scotland calling for immediate action, and hopes as many people, parties and organisations will sign up.

Full details here - http://www.alynsmith.eu/frontex?recruiter_id=43043

I'm supporting this.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Scotland calls for action in the Mediterranean
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:10:33 pm »
Me too. We're all Jock Tamson's bairns.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 10:10:06 am »
I think a lot about the refugee problem. I think it is going to change our lives.There is no simple solution.
 Today I have been thinking - what have I done to help the refugees?
   Well, I have given up sweets.
  Let me continue. I live on an extremely tight buget as do many small holders. We are 180 people in our pasish, more the half of us between the age of 60 and 100. At Christmas we were allocated 82 regugees awaiting asylum. They are boat refugees. They came to us in the middle of winter . They knew nothing of snow or out - 35C temperatures and 5 hours daylight. After their nighmare on the sea, moving to our sleepy village cannot be imagined. They have lodgings, food and clothing - Basta. 3 pounda a day pocket money (that is more than I have ;D) So we, the villagers were thrown into voluntary work. We were given the Baptist chapel as an activity centre. The windmills are giving us free electricity and donated flourescent jackets so we can see the dark individuals on the road!, We have language lessons , they are welcome at the weaving and knitting cafés, we gather clothes. The local school lets the children come. Football, a gym have been established. Most of them have now permission to stay in Sweden and do not want to leave us! Now we are trying to find housing. We are looking into renovating old houses. When they are given permission to stay they begin language school in the small town 30 miles away. One of my jobs is to buy an alarm clock and go with them on the bus the first week to teach them how important learning the language is. They also need to learn economy, democracy, the importance of working and paying taxes to help support the community.
  They tell lies. I would lie to save my life. When they have received their permission we find they have wives and children who are then allowed to come. This is an enormous expense for the government. But we must do what we can. many small villages here are in our situation. In a couple of months we will be allocated 100 more refugees. Then in the towns we have the migrants.People have drawn pictures of houses - gone out on the streets and beckoned the migrants to their homes during the winter months.
Last week the immigration authorities had the brilliant idea they were going to move 22 of our refugees to another village. They, and we, were very upset. We phoned and said that when the bus came there would be journalists, pensioners in wheelchairs, on walking frames, the school taxis full of children and all able bodied people in the village to block the transport. The authorities backed down. When they tried to send some refugees on a plane activists blocked the unway, when removed,the passengers on the plane refused to fasten their seat-belts. those refugees have now been given asylum.
 THis is only the top of the iceberg.
 Our society's are going to have to change drastically to survive. I understand from reading this forum how strained the british social system is allready.
The problems on the Mediterranean are going to effect us more that we realise
 And giving up sweets? I have so little money that  the only saving I can find to buy diesel to go down to the village to help as often as possible.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 10:24:13 am »
And I signed a letter. You humble me, renee. :'(

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 10:00:11 pm »
And I signed a letter. You humble me, renee. :'(

I was about to say the same."whatsoever you do unto these people you do unto me" (mis-quote)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 07:08:53 am »
What an extraordinary and amazing thing you do Renee.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 10:12:33 pm »
I'm glad I started this thread. I'm going to a dog show tomorrow, I'll print the information and have it on my entries desk.  I'm sure I'll think of other ways to help the situation.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 07:09:05 am »

What a lovely saying Rosemary. Who was Jock Tamson?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 10:24:56 am »

What a lovely saying Rosemary. Who was Jock Tamson?

It's just a Scottish saying. There are a number of opinions about who Jock Tamson (John Thomson) was. My favourite is that he was a minister of the CHurch of Scotland in the 1800s, who was so popular that parishioners  and others claimed to be "aw Jock Tamson's bairns".

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS